RCBS micrometer adjustment screw?

I have micrometer seating dies, and a micrometer on both my powder measures.

Absolute must haves for me.

You can scribble your known numbers down when you confirm a setting, then go right back to it if you change something.

I really appreciate that. This most definitely saves time. And when you are short on time, it increases productivity with the time you have.

I hear the ultimate powder throwing device is the Harrells. Those use clicks. No 1st hand experience though.

Micrometers certainly make adjustments a breeze. You need .005" more? Just turn the dial the exact amount you need. Super handy for load development, or switching bullets.

With a regular die, you have to guess, adjust, guess again, adjust, oops to far, adjust, a liiiiitle more... etc. Every time you have to loosen the lock ring, turn the screw, tighten the lock ring. This is fine for a dedicated die for a dedicated load. Set it and forget it. Like for your bulk 9mm/223 load with the same bullet forever. Or your old 30-06 that you rarely shoot and only load 1 bullet anyways.

I set my seating dies up to read zero/zero for my favorite bullet. Then every additional bullet i use i right down if it is +/- from zero (screwing it down or up) and how much.

That way when i switch bullets i go back to zero, then maybe in/down/clockwise 75 thousandths for the next bullet.

This tells you something about the bullets also. For example, the 2nd bullet has a lot farther jump to the lands than the default on you use or visa versa.

For powder measures.... Save even more time.

Don't forget to throw 10 charges and then divide by 10 when you are double checking your charge weight.

Originally Posted By: varmit_masterDoes anyone use one ? It says makes reloading faster with one. Like too know about one
RCBS micrometer adjustment screw.

Unfortunately doesn't look like RCBS makes a micrometer replacement for their standard seating die, but you can accomplish same thing by recording your caliper measurement of a known load, taken with depth gauge from top of adjusting screw to face of lock nut as shown below (be sure to lock the lock nut before taking this reading and that you hold side of depth gauge against the adjusting screw to avoid canting the caliper).

When setting up the die to load a different batch of ammo, I generally back the adjusting screw off and insert a previously loaded round of same bullet, then screw stem in until I feel it touch the bullet, lock nut, take measurement and compare to written records for that same load. Some slight adjustment might be necessary, but reduces fiddling around looking for exact setting.

50068805498_f67c10c67a_c.jpg

Picture shows a setting of .598", which produces favorite COAL with 110 gr. Varmageddons in one .308.

Regards
hm

Originally Posted By: arlaunchI have micrometer seating dies

Absolute must haves for me.

X2!

Nearly all of my seating dies are Redding micrometer seating dies and for me, they not only make life easier but are worth every penny.

Back