Ditch the Gen 3 NV

cgbills

So I have an L3 gen3 filmless WP PVS-14. Since getting my Hogsters, I almost never use it. I know many say to keep a NV device for driving and navigation over rougher terrain. However I never hunt mounted, and I never bush-wack it when I hunt. I really only use developed trails on hunting property or use blinds. I have been debating selling the PVS-14 since it gets so little use. I am curious how many of you have done something similar after getting into thermal.

CG,
If your laws are like Ohio's regarding fox I like the NV to distinguish between them and coyotes. Fox in Ohio have a season, coyotes don't unless the latest anti hunter attack gains traction in the Ohio house. I like to know which I'm shooting for sure. I think I"m good to go with thermal now to ID but there is a learning curve vs. NV. Good luck with your decision, I like to use both depending on the night and terrain.

Originally Posted By: cgbillsSo I have an L3 gen3 filmless WP PVS-14. Since getting my Hogsters, I almost never use it. I know many say to keep a NV device for driving and navigation over rougher terrain. However I never hunt mounted, and I never bush-wack it when I hunt. I really only use developed trails on hunting property or use blinds. I have been debating selling the PVS-14 since it gets so little use. I am curious how many of you have done something similar after getting into thermal. As you have said, one of main benefits of NV is walking and/or navigating. It is also helpful when you need to see through glass. One of the other advantages mentioned is a better PID for things that have similar heat signatures such as coyote vs farm dog vs fox.

With all said, I am also a thermal only guy.

I used my new pvs 14 for the first time a couple nights ago. Don't know how I got along without it for so long. Still looking for an IR to mount on the front of my truck if anyone has a good recomendation.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: igorI used my new pvs 14 for the first time a couple nights ago. Don't know how I got along without it for so long. Still looking for an IR to mount on the front of my truck if anyone has a good recomendation.

Night Goggles use to carry the Rigid Industries IR lights.

I've had to pass on a few dogs using just thermal because I wasn't sure and didn't get a long enough look to get PID. Not only are fox an issue (also being in Ohio), but I don't want to worry about the off chance that it's the land owner's dog. Without magnification a PVS-14 won't really help when they are further out or in cover anyway. I also rarely bring the PVS-14 when I have the thermals.

However.. I did recently buy a TC 243 win that I'm going to put just an IR laser and can on so I can go light and lean. My usual rig is quite a bit heavier. Gun cost me $219 NIB and my last load got .65 MOA, pretty happy with that. You do have to give the gun a few mins between shots though or the groups open up considerably. Still be minute of yote in PVS-14 range though.

Also use my 14 during duck season when paddling the canoe back in to the marsh.. Pretty serene..

Thats why I've stuck with thermal for scanning and Digital NV for my night time hunting JCC (for positive ID). Positive ID is paramount for me as I have foxes and the occasional neighbors dog that might wander into my bait area kill zone. It basically comes down to population density where I live. If my closest neighbor was miles away I probably wouldnt worry about it and go themral on the gun. Was about to pull the trigger on a Hogster for a rifle but just not sure if it would give me the ID requirements I'm looking for.

I'm looking at a TC 243 as well. Seems like a pretty nice MOA guarantee for the $$$.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Burnsome...
I'm looking at a TC 243 as well. Seems like a pretty nice MOA guarantee for the $$$.

After checking the barrel was indeed floating (stock not rubbing anywhere), and torquing everything to spec it shot the Hornady Superformance 87gr varmint right at about 1 MOA. The rifling is pretty rough, so it dirties up pretty quick and groups drop off. Still figuring it out, but thinking it will need a cleaning every 40 rounds or so. Since I can't load the 87 v-max to the speeds Hornady does I went with the 75gr Speer varmint (#1205), seems to shoot those pretty well at right about 3300fps.

Last edited:
Coyotes in Illinois have a lot of pressure. We noticed if I left my night vision at home and just used thermal that we had noticeably more success. I sold my gen 2 plus night vision and got an xp50. Last year was the most enjoyable year I had coyote hunting. Even if I let a few animals walk because of ID issues, I still kill more because of the thermal

This is part of the reason why I was thinking of letting it go. I just cannot have a ton of money sitting in toys. To me it makes more sense to have money in the more effective thermal, and use the money from the sale of the NV else where

Back