22 mag?

pyscodog

Looking for a light small pistol to carry when I'm mowing at the club. I been looking at the North American revolver @ 6oz. Very small and holds 5 rounds of 22 mag. I know there are better choices and I have a Sig compact for when I'm in pants with a belt. Its just to big and bulky when I'm on a mower. I also looked at the Bond Arms in 9mm but its pretty heavy as well. Lots more power but not loosing much in weight. Any of you carry either of these two pistols? Thoughts?

I suppose if you were looking for something in 22 mag that you could stick in your pocket the Ruger LCR 22mag would probably work but for nearly the same weight, unloaded that is, you could get a KelTec PMR30 but it'll be a fair bit larger. The PMR30 will definitely be a lot more fun to shoot, just not quite as compact as a pocket revolver.

Don’t know about current ammo, but a number of years ago some gun writer did a rather detailed chronograph test on 22 mag in short barrels. Result was that only one brand at that time gave any increase in velocity over 22lr. The only exception was a RWS that was specifically designed for pistols. My limited experience with 22 mag in pistol length barrels was more noise and muzzle blast and nothing else.

I looked for a true pocket pistol for years and I tried a lot of them. I needed something I could carry at work and not have anyone know I was carrying. I finally ended up with a Ruger LCP in .380. Not the one with the laser, I tried that also. Just a regular LCP I. Best true pocket gun I have found.

My buddy had a big 44 mag and a small 22 mag derringer at the range one time. I tried both.
The derringer kick hurt more than the 44 mag, learned what it meant to have adequate mass to help absorb recoil forces.

My PMR30 is pleasant to shoot, good trigger, lightweight, but too bulky for OP purpose.
I carried it in a holster while walking another buddy's trapline, would do it again, fwiw..

Originally Posted By: pyscodogLooking for a light small pistol to carry when I'm mowing at the club. I been looking at the North American revolver @ 6oz. Very small and holds 5 rounds of 22 mag. I know there are better choices and I have a Sig compact for when I'm in pants with a belt. Its just to big and bulky when I'm on a mower. I also looked at the Bond Arms in 9mm but its pretty heavy as well. Lots more power but not loosing much in weight. Any of you carry either of these two pistols? Thoughts?

Those are darn hard to shoot, impossible reloads.

Answer to your question: Ruger 380, but you probably already have one

I've been kicking this around for a couple of weeks now. Been to the local GS so many times they are probably getting tired of me. I know the NAA is very light and small but its a 22 mag and the reviews are mixed. The Bond Arms is pretty cool and comes in a variety of calibers but its heavy. I did look at the Ruger 380 yesterday and it is small enough to fit in my pocket and has considerably more punch. I love my Sig but at 27.6 oz empty, its heavy and it holds 15+1, so loaded its even heavier. I think I'll go back and give the Ruger another look. If you folks have other thoughts, I'll sure listen. I only want to buy once and I'm not in a hurry.

Consider a Seacamp, had one, let go in a weak moment, wish had kept it. A Beretta 35 in .32 is another option, had one but got ripped off

Last edited:
Those little bitty .22's,in my opinion,are just almost worthless.And dangerous.

Ruger .380 would be a much better choice for shorts on a mower.

Snubbie .38 hammer less for general pocket carry.

I have had all of them and thats what I think FWIW.

I now have a 3 inch .357 that I like a lot. I don't worry about other people much anymore. If it's in my pocket it's none of their business.

Originally Posted By: pyscodogLooking for a light small pistol to carry when I'm mowing at the club.

Sooo I gotta ask, what the heck kind of "club" is this that you need to be packing while you're on a mower?!

Originally Posted By: B23Originally Posted By: pyscodogLooking for a light small pistol to carry when I'm mowing at the club.

Sooo I gotta ask, what the heck kind of "club" is this that you need to be packing while you're on a mower?!

LOL, good question. But in todays times you just never know what to expect.

I looked at the Rugers today. The LCP 1 and the LCP II. Man the triggers are horrible. IIRC thats why I sold my LC9. I liked the size but the trigger just killed it for me. I also looked at a Sig 365 (I think) but really didn't want to spend $600 plus tax for a pocket gun.

With all due respect, typically, these pocket guns aren't used for precision shooting anyway and you're not trying to shoot groups so the trigger is really kind of a moot point. For a self defense/CCW gun, I think it's far more important it goes bang every time, than it is it has a precision target trigger.

My wife carries a Ruger LCR 38spl. they're double action only and obviously have a long heavy trigger pull. Being a, at the time, new shooter, the trigger took some getting used to for her and in the beginning, she actually hated it. BUT, she took a couple classes and before she knew it, it was no longer a problem.

Not disagreeing with you B23 but the trigger was really heavy and long on the LCP!. Some of the new model LC9's have an enhanced trigger and are actually pretty good. I was hoping the LCP might have had one as well. The LCPII did have a little better trigger of the two. Its a $300 pistol, I guess there aren't many frills for the price. I'm going to keep looking, there's no hurry.

I watched a few more reviews on the Rugers. Seems the LCP1 is a little more popular with a lot of people. Fewer square edges and just fits in a pocket a little better. As you all have said, its not a range or target pistol and the trigger is long and heavy for a good reason...safety! Just a good "get out of my face gun". I'll probably end up buying that one. Seems it will serve my purpose. The NAA 22 mag is a cool little pistol but I think the Ruger is a wiser choice.

Dang..!!

You seriously have a need for a "get out of my face gun" for use at the gun club where you mow?

I think I'd be investing in a better quality gun club before I worried about a better quality "get out of my face gun" so that I can survive at my gun club.

Single stack Glock 42(380) or 43(9mm). Me personally, I’d go with the 9 over the 380, but it’s a tad bigger.

Brother in law recently purchased a Springfield H***cat. It’s pretty nice also.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: B23Originally Posted By: pyscodogLooking for a light small pistol to carry when I'm mowing at the club.

that was my question from the start.

lot of mower hijackers in the hood? mow em down. haha.

Back