New Contender Shooting Bench

tred1956

Not really reloading but does come in handy for load development. This bench was made for Contender pistol shooting. Off of my Fuzz Rest of course. Wide enough to accommodate 2 shooter simultaneously for friendly DUM-DUM competitions. Bench is made of 6x6 treated posts. Frame is 2x6 to allow for leg room. 2x6 frame boards are no more than 12 inches apart both ways, see picture with top not on yet. One more long 2x6 was installed from side to side and 5 rows of 2x6 cross bracing added. Frame was bolted to posts with 3/8 x 10 carriage inch bolts again both ways. Top was covered with 2x10 also treated boards. All joints not bolted were screwed with decking screws. Bench to sit on was mounted independent of shooting bench on (3) 6x6 treated post also bolted to a 2x6 frame. While bench seat was also a 2x10 screwed to frame. 600 pounds of concrete secure the both benches. Nothing was designed to shoot a rifle from but if the kids and grandkids can't make it work I guess I'll add a rifle rest to one end. A permanent roof is my next goal but a pop-up 10x10 canopy will have to work til cooler weather.

Just finished seat tonight, have been using a folding chair. While not concrete it is solid as a ROCK and I am too old to finish concrete anymore. LOL.

Can't wait to really set up and shoot a few groups.

Thanks for reading and Happy fourth to all
Doug

Have had a lot of questions about a DUM-DUM competition so here is a brief explanation.

A DUM-DUM competition requires 2 shooters. I usually shoot one of these three Contenders. The Pink one is OTT 17/222 Rem, the purple laminate is OTT 20 TAC and the step barrel is OTT 20 VarTarg. Grandson favors his 17 Ackley Hornet.

Targets are the DUM-DUM suckers in the bag with the paper removed. You get 160 targets for around $10 and the Kids and Grandkids love to watch them disappear. Who am I KIDDING PaPa loves it too. Target rack holds 9 DUM-DUM suckers. Four on the right and four on the left. The winning DUM-DUM is dead center. Once the Competition begins first one to eliminate his bank of four and get to the center target wins. THE tough part is to win you must cut the CENTER DUM-DUM STICK . If you hit the Center sucker itself you lose.

Hours of fun and it sure teaches concentration and gun control.

Safe Shooting
Doug

Nice looking set-up, any chance you could post the dimensions? Getting ready to replace my old wobbly bench and have been searching for ideas like yours.

Table is 36 inches by 72 inches. Height off the ground had to vary for slope of ground. To figure seat height I put rest on folding table inside and sat in folding chair. Worked great so I measured the distance from top of table to top of seat and made seat that height match that measurement.
Safe shooting
Doug

Grandson brought his new 308 Win Weatherby and wanted to load ammo and sight it in. Sitting at a shooting bench in 94 degree weather with my Grandson

WOW LIFE IS GOOD I am truly a Blessed man

Safe shooting
Doug

You are indeed a lucky man, Doug.
I am envious.
Thank you for sharing and you do construct a fabulous range table.
Nice workmanship!
Thanks,
Jimmy

Back