Dirty powder?

rhinosparky

So I recently just got my first suppressor. It’s crazy how much quieter it is. I an seeing a crazy amount of “soot” in the action, magazine, and on the QD mount. I know I need an adjustable gas block.
But I wonder if the powder I am using is also a contributing factor?
I am using W748
Suppressor is a GemTech one.
Rifle is a Mossberg MMR or a Noreen .224 Valkyrie.

I see you mention the Valkyrie. I will say that mine and everyone I see at the range seem to be dirtier than any other caliber I have put a can on.

That's just the yin to your ear's yang(or something like that). You can count on 1. Increased gas to the face. 2. Dirtier action, going so far as having dirty rounds in your magazine. 3. More backpressure until you fix it with one of the multiple options out there. 4. Isn't it nice to shoot without earpro?

it is not just the filth, it also is the heat generated by a particular powder...consult the heat Index of various powders...get ready for a shock!

Originally Posted By: Bob_AtlWhen you find a clean powder for an AR with a can, please let us know...

AMEN!

Tagged for interest!

one specific example i can give of a cleaner powder - 300 blackout, 1680 for subs is awful, especially suppressed. SUUUUUUUPER dirty.

However shooters world blackout (DO-63.2) and shooters world socom (DO-63.1) are both SIGNIFICANTLY cleaner when shooting suppressed subsonic loads.

HTH.

I may have to check into some of the Shooter's World Powders. I've seen some good reports of speed for my 6.8 and some of the wildcats based on that case.

Back