4k to spend on night vision gear,How should I proceed

Krockus

Nice chunk of change for me to spend on night gear..
I want something that will last at least a few years. I thought about buying an expensive thermal(well as much as I can for 4k) but I don't care to swing the rifle all the time while scanning..I don't know a lot about thermals, well less than that actually. Like to be able to ID out to 250yrds and not have lag..
This is where I am at and what I know. Should I go thermal scan and a NV scope.. Just unsure what path to take... Any sales going on now also for thermals.. I am looking to purchase ASAP once I figure out what route to go.. Thanks.. Dan

I see you joined this forum last night. Welcome to this forum! Here you will find many useful information on thermal scanners. You can use the search engine by writing: thermal scanner. I don't know the prices in the US, but I can tell you, in order from the best, what they are, IMO: 1) Pulsar Accolade 2 XP50; 2) Pulsar Helion 2 XP50; 3) Flir LS-XR 30 Hz (which also has the red laser beam) 4) Flir Scout III 640; 5) Hogster-R 35 mm (really excellent for the quality / price ratio and you can also use it as a thermal riflescope on a rifle ....); 6) Flir break (this can also be mounted on the helmet to have your hands free ...); 7) Pulsar Axion Key XM30..... As you can see there are many, but you will see that the professionals of this forum will be able to advise you even better. Meanwhile, I send you my greeting from Italy

Last edited:
Hey ernest..Been a member before and lost my log in info But thanks for reply..I sent night goggles a message last week and heard nothing back yet..I wanted to know about the beast also if clip on is the way to go or not..Do I still use my power zoom in my scope and what will it do to image at higher settings.

My journey was pretty expensive and now I have gear that sits in the corner .
I wish I would have asked the same question you did before I started.

I started off with a atn 4K w a good IR light. It is very nice , I have zero complaints. Lots of people have had issues with atn, I haven’t had one issue. Night vision in my opinion is better for TARGET ID. Scanning with this was a pain and it would “burn” my eye by end of a night. Headaches and sore eye.

After tournament season I bought a hogster r-35. I love the hogster , I generally see animals way before the guys I hunt with. But I have trouble with ID sometimes. Maybe cause I new to thermal, still learning night hunting.

I have used the hogster as a hand scanner Before , that worked amazing . While doing this I had the atn 4K mounted in the tripod for the shot.

My opinion is to watch some vids from guys on here.
Also mind the ranges and field sizes you hunt And buy magnification accordingly.

My night vision gun sits at home most of the time, my friends don’t mind cause there is always a gun to borrow to use to hunt.

As far as your question,
I have no issue with target ID at 300 with my digital night vision. You have to have a good IR light , most stock lights that come with are only good for 150 or so from my experience.

Someone here said, once you scan thermal—— it’s only a matter of time before your shooting thermal as well.
That sentence will prove to be true , least in my opinion.

Last edited:
Buy a hogster r35 and see if it has enough mag for you to shoot with. If it leaves you wanting more scan with it and then save up for an xq 38 trail or thermion or better yet an xp50 in either or a trail 2.
Bypass nv.

Last edited:
Knowing what you are using it for (Coyotes, hogs, etc) and how you hunt (calling, spot and stalk, etc) and knowing the type of terrain are all factors that can help along with budget. However, here are answers based on the typical setups for most PM members.

Originally Posted By: KrockusI sent night goggles a message last week and heard nothing back yet. I wanted to know about the beast also if clip on is the way to go or not? Do I still use my power zoom in my scope and what will it do to image at higher settings.Sorry for the slow response. Tom Austin, Programs Director monitors the emails and he is in CO filming some coyote hunts for FoxPro. I will answer your questions, but feel free to call me direct if you would like (701) 261-9017. I am a ProStaff Member for Night Goggles so can answer most questions, but I can't quote prices or put in sales.

Bering Optics makes some great thermals and night vision equipment. However, the Beast thermals are not my favorites as they are using the Flir Tau2 core. If you wish to go clip-on, go with the Hogster-C. And yes, you increase the mag of the day optic to zoom. Some people love clip-ons, but you are increasing the price by 1K and you are adding weight by now having a day optic and the clip-on. You still need a scanner if you do this, so you could use that 1K elsewhere.

Originally Posted By: KrockusNice chunk of change for me to spend on night gear..
I want something that will last at least a few years. I thought about buying an expensive thermal(well as much as I can for 4k) but I don't care to swing the rifle all the time while scanning. 4K is a lot of money but unfortunately not in the world of thermal. You won't get 2 quality thermal units, unless maybe going used. As others have said, I would probably lean towards the Hogster-R 35 with wanting to PID out to 250 yards. All Hogster models have a 4 year warranty which is one of the best warranties.

I also do not like scanning with the rifle. The Hogster can be a scanner or a weapon's sight. This is one of the many reasons it is so popular right now. You could potentially go Hogster 25 for scanning and Hogster 35 for shooting. You would end up just under 5K, but you need to leave a little budget for battery packs and a tripod if you don't have one.

Originally Posted By: KrockusShould I go thermal scan and a NV scope.. Just unsure what path to take. For sure scan with thermal. As far as shooting, I strongly prefer thermal, but you can get a digital NV scope from $500-800 (Wraith 4K, Wraith HD, ATN 4K) with an IR light.

Originally Posted By: KrockusAny sales going on now also for thermals.. I am looking to purchase ASAP once I figure out what route to g. Just about all thermal dealers are bound by MAP pricing so most dealers will list similar pricing. However, if you contact Tom at Night Goggles (909) 312-5424 X531 and tell him you are a PM member, he will get you the best deal possible. As far as purchasing ASAP, it depends on the brand and model. For instance with Pulsar right now, most of last year's models are sold out and they are introducing new models. Covid 19 has set them back, so they are very difficult to get. Bering Optics has been able to fill Night Goggles orders fairly quickly, so they are again a good option if you want something soon.

I was going to say almost exactly what Kirsch said Hogster R35 on rifle and R25 for scanning. Put you a little over but well worth the extra coin. Maybe a dealer would give you a deal if buying the 2.

Thank you all for replies..I went with the 35 and am going to save for the 25 next. I also want a nv and will wait for the wraith 4k to come out so I can have some daytime vids also. Again thanks .Dan

Yes,think I made the right choice also.I will decide if going to purchase another 35 or the 25 after I get a chance to check out the scanning with it. What is the Bluetooth feature on those scopes..thanks . Dan

Originally Posted By: Krockus Yes,think I made the right choice also.I will decide if going to purchase another 35 or the 25 after I get a chance to check out the scanning with it. What is the Bluetooth feature on those scopes..thanks . Dan The firmware version on my 35 didn't have a bluetooth option and was very old. I just sent it in to be updated, so if it is available will probably have it when it comes back. Where are you seeing the Hogsters have bluetooth? If the Hogster has it now, it would be a feature to allow a person with an Android app to control features on the scope. Bering thermals to date that have any app integration are Android only such as the Prodigy line.

My hogster doesn’t have blue tooth either, haven’t sent it in yet for the update either . But will in the next few weeks.

It actually says it in the video also on night Google's web at the 140 mark . The video below the bering 35 specification..Kirshs outdoor production video it is on..

Originally Posted By: KrockusIt actually says it in the video also on night Google's web at the 140 mark . The video below the bering 35 specification..Kirshs outdoor production video it is on.. Yes, I actually captured that video with a Hogster test unit. After thinking about this, I looked back on some old emails from Bering Optics and there was talk about a bluetooth app that controlled some of the controls. Bering got feedback from dealers that it wasn't needed. Since this question was brought up, I contacted Bering and will get an answer on whether it is available still, the cost of it, and what the purpose is.

Boris from Bering Optics answered my question and it was as I had remembered.

Here is his comment, "Yes, the remote control option was originally developed for the HOGSTER line of products. Than it was found unnecessary for dedicated scopes and discontinued. I have plans to return this feature for HOGSTER-C clip-on model only, but no plans for dedicated Thermal scopes."

So, it was shown in my early demo because I was using an early prototype. However, due to customer and dealer feedback it was removed from the product. Sorry for any confusion.

Back