Hogster-R 25mm as scanner

Spidicus

Thinking about getting the hogster 25 to use as a scanner. I have a wraith on the gun with wicked lights 850 IR for shooting. I hunt the desert and mountain areas.. in the flats and foothills the desert sage, cacti, joshua trees, and other bushes can get really thick and up to waist or even chest high at times. If I hunt the mtn canyons and cliffs too...cats, and yotes can be high on the sides/cliffs 200 to 300 yards out.
I'm curious to see what y'all think of the hogster 25 as a thermal scanner for this type of hunting and terrain. Most of my shots have been 125 or less. But in the past I have hesitated on shots around 200 to 250 because I couldnt ID what the eyes were on the mtn sides. (prolly were cats, but could have been bighorn sheep too) This will be my first year using the wraith. I used wicked red lights before.

Last edited:
The Hogster 25 is an awesome scanner. If you have issues with the small FOV of the Wraith, it could also be a weapon's sight for you or a buddy. The Hogster 25 will be great at scanning at the distances you are talking about. I think it would be a fantastic option. For the terrain you are describing, the 35 is overkill, so go with the 25.

I've often wondered if the 35 with its higher magnification might help distinguish animal ID a little bit better than the 25 at "distance"?

Originally Posted By: Burnsome...I've often wondered if the 35 with its higher magnification might help distinguish animal ID a little bit better than the 25 at "distance"? Absolutely yes, but in the distances quoted by the OP, the 25 with a wider FOV would be my recommendation.

I recently bought a Hogster 25mm for a scanner. I have only used it a few times around my property and it has worked great. I also have a 35mm for my main optic. Both make a great combo. Sadly I am looking to sell my 25mm to help fund a move. If I sell this one, I will not hesitate to buy one again in the future

Originally Posted By: cgbillsI recently bought a Hogster 25mm for a scanner. I have only used it a few times around my property and it has worked great. I also have a 35mm for my main optic. Both make a great combo. Sadly I am looking to sell my 25mm to help fund a move. If I sell this one, I will not hesitate to buy one again in the future Sorry to hear about the need for cash. With how good of a thermal the Hogsters are, hopefully you will have no problem finding a buyer if you do need to sell.

Back