Coyotes and windmills

Jason B

So in the past few years, the county where I live has put up about 50+ windmills. The massive 500’ kind sending power all over the place. Central Indiana, so it’s basically all ag, with the occasional small wooded area. I did a search and came up blank, so I was interested to see if anyone has had success or failures with hunting/trapping around these large industrial behemoths.

We cant shoot around them on public lands.
Same as oil pumps. So basically they shot down my hunting, not help it out. I would say with the activity around them it would not be as good as it could be.

No personal experience, but at the rate they supposedly kill birds, it might offer a coyote some easy meals. If they are in otherwise good areas, and you have permission, then why not try it.

Water windmills have been good for me as they are actually about the only place to hide near and the only thing tall enough to hang a coyote on to skin, that an gate supports and count road signs.

Power windmills while legal to hunt around in WA were easily accessed and hit hard by others so I stayed away.

Last edited:
One of my best producing stands in Kansas is right under one. Dont bother the cats or the coyotes. It is irritating to me listening to the dumb thing. I cant even hear if the call is on.

We recently made two stands near windmills. First stand brought two dogs that spooked when they spotted our rig. The second stand was on a sidehill below a mill and we called one up from below where there were 3 among some cattle with calves. The one that came up to the tower ridge went home with us.

The limited amount of calling I have done around windmills has not produced many coyotes. Mainly due to the fact that it is always so windy in those areas. Tough calling in 30 mph plus winds.

Back