6.8spc bullet choice

seasley

For the ones of you that reload for the 6.8spc, which bullet do you prefer?

I’m thinking of using Barnes 95 grain or going with nosler

I use Sierra 90gr HPs, Speer 90gr TNTs, Hornady 110gr VMaxs, and Barnes 95gr TTSX for deer.

The HPs(TNTs) shoot almost interchangeable in my rifle. Same load, sub-MOA groups, just slight different POIs. Nasty holes in critters, for the 90gr HPs.

The 110 gr. VMax are SD loads, for rapid expansion on the first thing it hits, yet decent penetration. Given my SD rifles have red dots, accuracy is not really a concern at typical SD ranges. Effectively accurate out to my longest test at 100 yards.

The Barnes loads are probably my most accurate load in the 6.8 SPC. It came after a number of experiments, with Reloder 10x and Reloder 7, and a few different sources of brass. It is sub-MOA in my hunting 6.8 SPC, and is plenty accurate in my Son's hunting 6.8 SPC. If he is ever interested in wringing the last little bit out, by tweaking my load for his rifle, we will do that. But for now the load works well in at least two 6.8s, both with ARP barrels.

Several northern whitetails have been taken with the Barnes 95gr. TTSX bullets. Autopsy showed very nice wound channel with exits. One high shoulder shot, turned part of the spine into bone meal. Just about the perfect bullet for the 6.8 SPC in medium sized game.

Squeeze

I load Barnes 95's for deer season. Either Speer 90 gr TNT or Gold Dots for shooting paper or AT coyotes. The Barnes, in my experience work great on deer. Nothing has gone more than 20 yards after shot

Last edited:
Back