Does BARREL TWIST effect RECOIL?

Hellgate

I recently fired two ARs with the same ammo load. Each rifle was fairly similar: 16" HBAR barrels, same buttstock, floated forends (one shorter and w/o vent holes the other longer Key mod?), both feel the same weight. One has a levang linear brake the other has an A2 flash hider. The A2 has 1:8 twist the other has a 1:9. It's my understanding that the linear brakes merely direct muzzle blast but do little for recoil reduction. The 1:8 A2 FH rifle has a significantly sharper recoil than the levang 1:9 twist rifle. There is a minor noise difference but I can feel the recoil difference. Should I install another levang on the 1:8? If it is due to the twist difference then I see no reason to change things. I do not want a brake the directs blast back toward the shooter or toward my calling partners. Or, is there likely another reason for the difference in recoil?

The difference is definitely not due to a 1" difference in twist. I've read that the levang brakes are pretty effective so that's my vote.

Thanks for the feedback. I got the linear brake because I know how LOUD muzzle brakes can be that virtually eliminate recoil but my rifles are calling rifles and I am almost always with a partner or two and we don't wear ear protection out in the open country. I don't want to ring the ears on my friends. Thanks again.

It is thought that switching from a slow twist to a fast twist increases torque on the rifle. Its a hard science project though. Normally you would shoot heavier bullets out of a fast twist than you ever could a slow twist. So that increases recoil

I have 2 rifles with mid-length gas systems that have gas port holes that are too darned big. Both kick harder than my Colts with carbine gas systems.

Rifles really need to be weighed on a scale for a comparison. Weight makes a huge difference.

Buffer spring and buffer make a large difference also.

I have a pair of "these". Very expensive yes.. Worth every penny? F#&*^ Yeah

"these"

A suppressor takes a good while to process and obtain. Once you do it though... It changes your life forever.

Your ears drums are a mechanical device. Once you the device is will never heal. It is not like a muscle where you work it and it gets stronger.

The more high noise exposure, the weaker they get, forever. Then you will pay 1000's for hearing aids. In the long run it is more affordable to buy MSA Sordins and a sound suppressor.

Blah Blah Blah

Arlaunch,
You could be right on the gas port sizes. One barrel is a Bear Cr Arsenal and the other a Cobra Tach. Both shoot well. I’ve already got the hearing aids. Too many sacks of firecrackers as a kid, high school rifle team and chainsaws later on.

What length are the gas systems on the rifles? There is a significant difference between say a carbine length and mid-length gas. The extra length on the mid helps the port pressure go down

Most likely the brake. However, it maybe worth looking into messing with buffer weight. Often if a rifle is overgassed, a heavier buffer can smooth things out

Back