Pulsar Trail XQ38 - Zero and Missing

My replacement unit has started having the same POI issue ? Anyone else besides BH6 having issues with the Thermion ? Or Did the firmware take care of the issue ?

Thinking about pushing them to replace my Trail for a Thermion.

I went to the range and did some testing. The longer the unit stayed on the more the POI moved. Turned it off, let it cool and three shots produced 3/4” group off the bench in the shade. Left it on, watch the POI start to shift and after an hour the shots shifted 4” but it maintained the group size.

Waiting for Sellmark to call me back!

I've had trouble with the Thermion. Best advice is like bowhntr says, dump Pulsar and go to a different brand.

Originally Posted By: P&YI've had trouble with the Thermion. Best advice is like bowhntr says, dump Pulsar and go to a different brand.

What problem(s) have you had with the Thermion? I have one and it has been flawless.

Originally Posted By: G AndersonOriginally Posted By: P&YI've had trouble with the Thermion. Best advice is like bowhntr says, dump Pulsar and go to a different brand.

What problem(s) have you had with the Thermion? I have one and it has been flawless.

Mainly POI shifting and very poor battery life. I did experience an unexplained shut down and failure to turn back on one night.

Originally Posted By: P&YOriginally Posted By: G AndersonOriginally Posted By: P&YI've had trouble with the Thermion. Best advice is like bowhntr says, dump Pulsar and go to a different brand.

Mainly POI shifting and very poor battery life. I did experience an unexplained shut down and failure to turn back on one night.
Seems odd that the Thermion would have a POI issue since the speculation on the Trail is the design/material relating to thermal expansion/contraction...the Thermion should not have any of those issues. I have had my Thermion on 3 different rifles and each time I put it back on a particular rifle and went to the settings for that rifle it was dead on each time. Have hunted 6-8 hours and never ran out of battery either...got close, but always carried a spare in case...never had to use it. Seems if it weren't for bad luck, you wouldn't have any luck at all. Have you gotten a Trijicon yet?

Yes I had hopes the Thermion would hold zero. I believe it's also an algorithm formula or something of that nature above my pay grade that Pulsar hasn't figured out. They are an unscrupulous company in my book but I enjoy hearing there are happy customers.

No Trijicon yet but it's gonna happen before November!

Is your software updated?
What mount are you using?
Do you log your data to know your bulley X and Y's?
Do you practice shooting the way you hunt? This is typically a bigger culprit than people realized.

- if memory serves I documented the issues before the last firmware. Heard the update even further reduced battery life so I didn't risk it.

- using Leupold mounts torqued to spec (I swaped mounts on my trails and found no difference)

- yes logged x and y's

-I practice like I hunt (tripod) but also shoot a lot off bidpod/bench

Fwiw we are typically talking 1/2" or less groups at 100 that move together. I experimented with day optics in similar conditions. I totally agree it's typically a bigger issue I've chased those monsters many times and I've racked my brain trying to find a different culprit.

I will say ime the thermion shifts significantly less than the trails. But it isn't as predictable to me. Probably due to spending more time behind the trails and having friends who owned them so I had other's notes to help with that riddle.

What is the latest firmware for the THermion? I haven't received any notice of an update since I purchased mine...I checked to see what it had installed and it matched what Pulsar had on their web site...has there been one recently? If so, what number?

Off their website Firmware update 4.0
1-20-20. Not sure when you bought yours.

Supposedly:
The updated 4.0 Firmware features significant performance-enhancing changes such as:

* Image detail boost

* A fourth customisable observation mode

* New reticles (Thermion)

* Increased brightness range for icons

In addition to these, there have been some minor bug fixes.

I have the XP50 and it has the 4.0 firmware...I run with the image enhancement on all the time. This scope is really a fine piece of equipment and as stated previously, I have used it on 3 different rifles and it was dead on when going back to each rifle's settings. Using regular 30mm rings and just slide the scope off one rifle, slide it on the other, go to that particular rifle set up, test fire for POI and go hunt. Marked all the rails so it goes back in the same spot on each rifle.

I got a Trail XQ-50 LRF a few months ago and noticed within the first week or so it was shifting zero. I documented everything real well and got a refund from Pulsar (through my dealer). Instead of going back with the Trail, since by that time I had researched about the issues with the polymer housing, I went with the Thermion instead. Now after an additional 7 week wait for it my new XQ-50 Thermion ships out today headed my way.

With the metal tube on the Thermion being mounted in a good American Defense mount I am hoping to not have any zeroing issues. For dang sure though I will be testing it hard.

I sure am ready to get out and kill some pigs and coyotes. It has been a long stressful summer for me. I am ready to go play and let off some steam.

Last edited:
Back