Custom Action... GAME CHANGER

Robinhood21

Mack Brothers makes some superb suppressors and in 2018 the rolled out the Titanium Evo action for $1250. Great price for a custom Ti action not to mention a lot of good feedback as well.

Shot show they showed off their Stainless Steel Evo for a whopping $575!!! Unbelievable value if you ask me! Why even think about building on a 700 anymore?!? They just started taking preorders... I’m thinking 6mm Creed or 6.5 SAUM
w00t.gif

They’re gonna sell a pile of them!

https://macbros.com/product-category/act/

Last edited:
It really is quite impressive. When you think it’s almost half the price of anything else on the market!! I’ve heard great things about there titanium actions so as long as there pretty similar I can imagine how many builds we will be seeing on them.

Yeah be nice. But us poor folks will just have to keep on struggling along with their custom guns made with 700 or even Savage actions. I hate having to settle for 1/4" groups at 100 yards when I could spend another grand or two and shrink it down to maybe a 3/16" group. Meh. I will just have to suck it up and keep on prodding along with what I have now. Maybe someday. Or....maybe not. Probably not.

I've gone the full custom action route several times, and other than the effect on my wallet, I haven't seen any concrete POSITIVE results.

Custom actions come and go in the market place as they really offer nothing but the novelty of "something new" when they hit the market. Some folks buy them and then reality sinks in............

These look nice, but the proof will still be in the pudding. I doubt that the pudding will be filled with very many extra bananas at the end of the day.

As an aside, a couple of very good smiths that I rely on their expertise and knowledge have told me in the past few years that the newer CNC Rem 700 actions are a good as any custom actions costing far more that they've worked on. Go figure.........

Carry on, troops......

Yeah. Custom guns are cool. I just cant see spending my retirement money on one. Mostly aftermarket barrels and trigger jobs is what I will spend bucks on. A better stock if it needs one. But I never skimp on glass. I abhor cheap scopes. My eyes deserve good optics.

Originally Posted By: RustydustI'm blind in one eye and can't see out of the other so my eyes deserve good optics.

Hey RD, I fixed it for you.
thumbup.gif

As for custom actions VS factory actions, I have a three customs a BAT, Stiller, and Kelbly all of which are great, especially, the BAT their stuff is like butter. I've got a bunch of semi customs built on trued Rem 700 SA & LA actions. I ALWAYS have my Rem 700's trued up and I don't have a problem spending a little extra for piece of mind.

Can't say that I like any of them any better than another and my semi customs shoot every bit as good as my full blown custom builds.

Built by a good competent GS and using a premium barrel, accuracy should be a non issue with either a custom or semi custom build.

Yeah, good stuff there. But the fact is that I dont shoot no benchrest competition. I shoot small furry animals for 3-4 months of the year. I shoot off of a homemade folding bench or a Stable Table when out in the field. Maybe off the hood of my truck. Might even snap a few shots freehand. All that high dollar stuff, while cool to have, really cool even, would be no real benefit to me. A typical shot is less than 200 yards and lot of days I never shoot further than 300 yards. So...cool? Yes indeed. A necessity? No. Not at all. Kinda glad of that. I spend enough on my hobbies as it is. My darling and long suffering wife will vouch for that.

Winny, I checked the run out on a couple of Rem 783's, and they are on par with a custom action. I thought I would do a test to see how rigid the actions were.

An old retired gunsmith on accurateshooter.com told me how true the 783's were...I found it hard to believe till I indicated one in. I put a 30" Heavy Palma Krieger 4 Groove in 6.5 creed on the 783, then added a boyd's stock, re built the trigger. 1/4" groups were ho hum with Hornady 140g HPBT with several powders.

Yes, the newer Remington 700's are more true than the older, just use a good recoil lug from PTG.

Indicating the barrel in to the .0001 in the throat where the bullet starts in the barrel is where the accuracy is at it's best on a quality barrel that is uniform from end to end.

Using Wind flags is where you get the fastest improvement in accuracy.

Last edited:
I've had a couple custom actions (Kelbly & Trophy) and had and still have a couple trued 700 actions & 1 XP100 action and they all shot under a quarter inch - indoors. Some matches I shot a couple groups under 0.110" and some matches I had a hard time shooting under 0.500 groups at 100 yards.

Along with the action - you need that match grade barrel capable of those bug hole groups, proper bedded action in stock (sometimes need to bed that puppy a couple of times), a scope with sufficient power and thin crosshair so you can hit a house flies eye and a 2 ounce trigger such as a Jewell trigger.

To consistently shoot under a quarter inch - you need good equipment plus you need to possess outstanding shooter skills.

If a person can consistently shoot 1/4" groups on demand - they might consider shooting hunter and benchrest matches, as those boys are great to be around and one could trade information back and forth for the benefit of all.

I have a 22 centerfire wildcat that shoots under a 1/4" indoors all day long - yet I missed several fat prairie dogs at 300+ yards this summer - no problem missing with an accurate rifle - I know it wasn't the rifle or ammo's fault.

Myself, I will take a good custom grade action over a factory action trued up if given a choice every time, but I also know a trued up action done right will shot just as well and there are a few box stock rifles out there that will shoot bug hole groups also - they are rare and a gem if you have one.

For a good recoil lug - especially if you shoot switch barrel rifles - this one was initially made by the great riflesmith, T.J. Jackson and it holds zero every time upon barrel change! He called them 1/2 moon recoil lugs and a lot of competitors in Texas went to them, just as fast as T.J could turn them out. Tremendous competitor, riflesmith and overall great person and friend - he's been missed for several years.

mpC40Ut.jpg

1YT5yLU.jpg

mptzjc7.jpg

qRazxOX.jpg

zUdUFGJ.jpg

Originally Posted By: RustydustYeah, good stuff there. But the fact is that I dont shoot no benchrest competition. I shoot small furry animals for 3-4 months of the year. I shoot off of a homemade folding bench or a Stable Table when out in the field. Maybe off the hood of my truck. Might even snap a few shots freehand. All that high dollar stuff, while cool to have, really cool even, would be no real benefit to me. A typical shot is less than 200 yards and lot of days I never shoot further than 300 yards. So...cool? Yes indeed. A necessity? No. Not at all. Kinda glad of that. I spend enough on my hobbies as it is. My darling and long suffering wife will vouch for that.
You know I like to give you a hard time and hate to miss an opportunity to razz ya.

Your wife is likely like mine and doesn't mind me wasting our hard earned money on this stuff, especially, if it means I'm not pestering her. LOL

Originally Posted By: B23
You know I like to give you a hard time and hate to miss an opportunity to razz ya.

Your wife is likely like mine and doesn't mind me wasting our hard earned money on this stuff, especially, if it means I'm not pestering her. LOL

No problems, Bryan! Why should my wife have all the fun putting me in my place?
thumbup.gif

About as close as I got to a custom gun is my 1990's vintage Rem 700 in .220 Swift. About 15 years ago I had George Vais do an action job and install a 28" Krieger barrel with one of his muzzle brakes on it. Sure a shooter. But...all my varminters are shooters (would not own them if they were not) and none are high dollar guns. The squirrels that I shoot cannot tell how much money that I have tied up in my guns after all.

They’re $575 and come with a pic rail!

You cannot blueprint a 700 action, flute & thread bolt for that.
Not to mention it also has a side bolt release. To me it doesn’t make sense to even build on a 700 unless you’ve already got one on hand.

That’s a GreatDeal!
Includes a 20 moa rail, probably a $100 addition. Web site shows out of stock, has anyone actually talked to them about a pre-order?

Originally Posted By: Tim NeitzkeThe less I look at the forums, the better off I'll be.
grin.gif

That is for certain! PM as well as the other gun/hunting forums I belong to have done nothing but cost me lots of money and for what it's worth whenever my wife asks what I'm building or buying I always through y'all under the bus and put the blame on the forums. lol

Originally Posted By: B23Originally Posted By: Tim NeitzkeThe less I look at the forums, the better off I'll be.
grin.gif

That is for certain! PM as well as the other gun/hunting forums I belong to have done nothing but cost me lots of money and for what it's worth whenever my wife asks what I'm building or buying I always through y'all under the bus and put the blame on the forums. lol

I've been under the bus more than I've rode in one.
lol.gif

Back