lube for stiff folders

masshunter

I have a couple of folders that are stiff opening now, after I used them and cleaned them. Tried gun oil, sewing machine oil, still stiff. One is a Victoinox Swiss army with about eight tools, the other is a Case trapper stag scales about 35 years old. I used them both quite a bit am puzzled why they both stiffened up. Never used WD 40 or anything that might leave a film. Just washed them with soap and water after fishing and oiled the joints. Any help would be great.

Might try a penetrating oil? Then spend the evening opening and closing and spraying. It may wash out any rust or grit that maybe between blades and liners.

Thanks all, these are just everyday folders, can't be taken apart.
I have several Victorinox swiss armys of various combinations but only this one started giving me trouble after a couple years. The
Case trapper is carbon steel and has stains but no rust, I have a pile of Case folders. and again only this one got real stiff.
Found a SOG folder with the same problem last night while sharpening a bunch of knives. I might try cleaning one with gas or coleman fuel then relube.

Not sure how the handle material would react to gas? Could use a Q-tip.

Kroil or PB Blaster might work, get some on a Q-tip and let it migrate into the joint.

Ronsonal lighter fluid. It will clean the joint of accumulating gunk and when it dries it leaves a thin oily film of light lubrication.

Originally Posted By: GCRonsonal lighter fluid. It will clean the joint of accumulating gunk and when it dries it leaves a thin oily film of light lubrication.

+1

Works on triggers also.

Originally Posted By: ackleymanOriginally Posted By: GCRonsonal lighter fluid. It will clean the joint of accumulating gunk and when it dries it leaves a thin oily film of light lubrication.

+1

Works on triggers also.

Yep. Been using the stuff on small parts assemblies for years.

if the Ronsonal cigarette lighter fluid does not fix the problem, the try a penetrating oil called FREE ALL, which is much better than Kroil.

The lighter fluid worked and I've been lubing the case with regular gun oil after after cleaning. Worked on the S.A.K too, but haven't used it much.

Back