6mm or 6.5 creedmoor?

Tgunz64

Looking to fill a gap between my 22-250 and 30-06. I’m going between these two calibers. Used for yotes and deer. Any thoughts on either one? I have a 26 Nosler so that might rule out a 6.5 creed but does have a lot more juice behind the bullet. Both rounds have very good ballistics not too far apart from each other. If I go 6mm considering an X Bolt [beeep]’s canyon or a cheaper Ruger predator. If I go 6.5 pretty sure I’m going with the Bergara B14 Ridge Wilderness. Thanks!

Probably bullet choice will be the main difference. I think there are more light bullets offered for the 6mm that for the 6.5 and more heavier bullets offered for the 6.5 than the 6mm. I guess you need to figure which direction you want to go. Both will serve your needs.

Since you already have a 6.5 in your 26 Nosler and no 6mm, to me, the natural choice would be a 6mm Creedmoor. I had a 20in barreled 6CM built on a Rem 700 a few months ago and it shoots extremely well.

I’ve shot a browning in 6mm Creedmoor, it was pretty accurate. Can’t recall the exact model but it’s the stainless fluted version with the laminate thumbhole stock. Of the two, I’d go with the 6.

Originally Posted By: B23Since you already have a 6.5 in your 26 Nosler and no 6mm, to me, the natural choice would be a 6mm Creedmoor. I had a 20in barreled 6CM built on a Rem 700 a few months ago and it shoots extremely well.

Yeah, makes sense to go for a .243 bore gun to me as well.

I dont have one but if I did not have an exceptionally good shooting .243 AI in my safe I could entertain the idea of getting a 6 Creed.

I’m looking into a 243 now. Since all the searching I did today I only found 2 6mm creed guns that fit my criteria. Hunting gun with 20-22” threaded barrel. An American Predator and an X Bolt [beeep]’s Canyon model. I’ll look at the 6mm Remington too.

I have had two 6.5 creeds and have sold both. I now have 2 6 Creedmoor’s and plan on rebarreling my last 243win to 6 creed within a couple of months. For deer, hogs, and coyotes, there’s nothing the 6.5 creed does which isn’t done by the 6mm version, and the 6 shoots flatter. Easy calculus for me.

Originally Posted By: Tgunz64I’m looking into a 243 now. Since all the searching I did today I only found 2 6mm creed guns that fit my criteria. Hunting gun with 20-22” threaded barrel. An American Predator and an X Bolt [beeep]’s Canyon model. I’ll look at the 6mm Remington too.

I was going to do a 6mm Rem AI but brass availability and variety is poor with that caliber. .243 Win brass is everywhere and pretty cheap too. Since ballistically they are almost the same I went with the .243 AI. It sure has been a good decision.

I started to do a 243 AI but watched a video of guy shooting PRS and he was shooting a standard 243. If your worried about loosing brass, Winchester, Federal, and R-P brass is cheap. Lapua if loosing brass is not an issue. No fire forming and only giving up a little velocity with the standard case. It also feeds great from a mag or from factory mags as well. As much as I like the AI's, I went with a standard 243. Along with that, 243 ammo is available about anywhere that sells loaded ammo. I thought about the 6 Remington as well but already having 243 dies and plenty of brass and bullets, the 243 was a better option for me.

Last edited:
Being a Remington guy I've always been a big fan of their 6mm but if you plan to shoot any of the longer heavy for caliber bullets, the Rem 6mm really needs a medium or long action. In a short action with the longer bullets the 243 and 6CM will out perform it if you run it as a repeater.

Also, the other two have MUCH better available brass than does the Rem 6mm.

Originally Posted By: B23Also, the other two have MUCH better available brass than does the Rem 6mm.

My gunsmith and I came to the same conclusion. If all are ballistically peas in a pod then why not use the one that has the easiest brass availability?

BTW- I have been using SIG .243 brass as of late. Bought it on a suggestion from someone here. I am so very well satisfied with it.

Between the two you mention in original post, I would take the 6crd... I like it over 243 or 6mm rem simply from a factory rifle standpoint you get the 8" twist with the creed as well as factory 105 ammo that shoots amazing. That being said, we have a pair of 243's (one for each daugter) but they would have been creeds if the guns/brass/ammo would have been more available when i got them..
Brien

I have a 6.5 Creedmoore and two 6mm Creedmoore. If it would primarily be a predator and small deer gun, then the 6mm is an easy choice. Flatter shooting and better availability of varmint rounds for 6mm. If you want a bigger gun for a deer hunt, then you already have a 26 nosler or 30-06 that you would select over a 6.5 Creedmoore anyway.

243 win is also a great choice to consider, especially if you have no interest in shooting heavier 6mm bullets. If you are interested in shooting heavier 6mm bullets(100+ gr), then a 6mm Creedmoore over 243 win would be the logical choice.

Well lots of good input from you guys and thank you. I was wanting a 6mm creed the most of the 3 but with only 2 gun options available for hunting with a 22” barrel. Others have a 26” which I don’t want a smaller caliber that long. One being a Ruger American Predator and the other a X Bolt Hells Canyon. So I’m going to wait for more options to come out in this round before I buy a rifle in it. However, I did order a gun. It’s a Bergara Ridge Rifle SP 6.5 creed 18” barrel. This will be nice with a suppressor. 95gr bullets for dogs, 143 for deer. It’ll work fine. Plus my main coyote gun is a 22-250 bit a slow twist so I’m limited up to 55gr. And I have an AR that can shoot heavier bullets as well. 243 is proven and everywhere. But I’d like to have that 6mm. I’m hoping Bergara offers it in more options than the HMR soon. Or Ruger or savage. So that’s my choice. Bought a 6.5 and going to wait and see what comes out for the 6mm. And I know I could have one built but I don’t feel like forking our that much. Got the Bergara for $688. $718 after the transfer fee. So I’m pretty happy with that. Thanks again fellas!

Don't forget, if there's a model out there that you like but it has a longer barrel on it than you want, as long as it's not fluted, you can have a gunsmith cut it down to whatever, legal, length you want.

I've had lots of barrels shortened and every one of them shot just as good after it had a few inches lopped off, as it did before. Doesn't cost very much to have a barrel shortened up and recrowned, either.

I know that’s also an option. But then it’s spending more money yet and shipping it off. Although still cheaper than a custom build. I considered cutting 2” off my 22-250 but my gunsmith talked me out of it. Main reason is it didn’t leave much of a shoulder for my mount. But he said it’ll work fine. So we left it and just threaded it.

Originally Posted By: Tgunz64I considered cutting 2” off my 22-250 but my gunsmith talked me out of it. Main reason is it didn’t leave much of a shoulder for my mount. But he said it’ll work fine. So we left it and just threaded it.

Maybe I'm missing something, but are you saying your barrels diameter is smaller two inches back from the muzzle, than it is at the muzzle?

Generally, barrels are tappered and leave a larger muzzle diameter the further back they are cut.

No. What I’m saying is at the full 22” length there wouldn’t be a lot of shoulder if it was threaded. And I asked him about cutting it back 2” for more shoulder. But he said it would be fine. Yes less shoulder than most guns would have but it would still work to mount my suppressor mount. And to get the full .650(if I remember right) shoulder the mount manufacturer recommends it would have to be cut back to 18” or a little more. And I didn’t want it that short. But it all worked out leaving it 22”. Did this clear it up better?

Back