Boots for Pronghorn Hunting

RugerHawg

As some of you know or may remember that I posted a tread on the elk forum about hunting boots and I about I a lot of replies (thanks so much for all the info). I unfortunately did not get a elk tag this year, but I am trying to get a WY pronghorn tag. My hunt (if I receive a tag) is thru a guide and by reading thru their website it says that they use UTVs. So my question is that should I still buy some expensive hunting boots (kenetreks) or should I just use my mucks for this hunt? Thanks for all info and knowledge! Have a great day!!

Love my danner pronghorns. Good relatively lightweight boot that require little break in. Drawback would be soft leather that wears quickly.

Originally Posted By: GCHow do Muck boots handle cactus?

Just like you think foam rubber would.
In my mind a very poor choice to hot, no support, and well made of foam rubber.
I have Mucks two different types there very good for there intended purpose and that's not walking miles in the hot dry Prairie.

That's why I mentioned it. You will encounter cactus, watch where you step, sit and also where you place your hands.

I never found boots to be of much concern while hunting Wyoming. I wore browning boots while most of my friends wore high top tennis shoes.

What you will find out is you don't spot and stalk much, as those speed goats have great eyesight and don't stick around if "spooked".

You will/may see a small herd containing one that you think is right for you. Determine the direction their grazing and attempt to get ahead of them and "settle in".

Nice if you have a gully at least part way to your "ambush" location but in any manner you might consider purchasing a pair of rubber knee pads, rubber elbow pads and cactus proof gloves (good luck with that one) if you plan on any type of "sneaking".

I also brought a camo movers blanket from Harbor freight on my 2nd trip but never had to use it. That 1st trip I learned everything about cactus, thorns and "sticking" plants the hard way - on the next 2 trips out west I really didn't need the aforementioned gear but had it along anyway. That Wyoming country side is not friendly to any humanoid crawling around, so either forget that idea or be prepared just in case.

Now every morning take a two mile walk in them, by antelope time you and the boots should be ready to go. I'm starting now for coyote hunting.

Back