It's official: Thermion XP does'nt have the RAV function

Ernest49

Dear American night hunter friends, this is bad news, which I never wanted to tell you. But it seemed more right to write the truth, so as not to make you live in uncertainty and illusion. Today, a prestigious Italian seller of thermal devices, had the OFFICIAL answer from Pulsar: the Thermion XP50 and XP38 do not have the RAV function. The description in the technical manual in English is wrong. The most serious thing is that not even a future software update can never activate this function. The RAV function would also require intervention on the device hardware. This was Pulsar's official answer ....

Last edited:
I always used the RAV as a back up in case I forgot to start filming myself.

I wouldn't trust it to capture video anyway, so not a huge deal except the safety net is gone.

Thanks for the information Ernest...glad you were able to get a definitive answer. I will miss not having it...never had a problem at all with it on the Trail...worked flawless on .223, 20 Practical and 22NXS...hate to hear that the Thermion cannot get a firmware update for it.
It would have been nice if Pulsar tech support would answer emails...I must have emailed them a half dozen times about if ever there would be a firmware update for the RAV function...never heard back from them...pretty piss poor tech support system if you ask me.

Has anyone been able to definitively determine yet if the Trail 2 models have the famed POI shift or if the new housing on the Trail 2 has solved this problem?

Originally Posted By: G AndersonHas anyone been able to definitively determine yet if the Trail 2 models have the famed POI shift or if the new housing on the Trail 2 has solved this problem? It isn't available yet. However, they removed the heat synch and changed the housing composition so you would surely hope so.

Originally Posted By: Ernest49Pulsar also gave another positive answer. All Thermion XP50 and XP38 have the new sensor with NETD

Originally Posted By: KirschOriginally Posted By: G AndersonHas anyone been able to definitively determine yet if the Trail 2 models have the famed POI shift or if the new housing on the Trail 2 has solved this problem? It isn't available yet. However, they removed the heat synch and changed the housing composition so you would surely hope so.

Kirsch, when is the expected release of the Trail 2? I have a friend that is wanting a Trail XP50 and I told him to buy the Trail 2 or get a Thermion.

Originally Posted By: KirschOriginally Posted By: G AndersonHas anyone been able to definitively determine yet if the Trail 2 models have the famed POI shift or if the new housing on the Trail 2 has solved this problem? It isn't available yet. However, they removed the heat synch and changed the housing composition so you would surely hope so.

Kirsch, when is the expected release of the Trail 2? I have a friend that is wanting a Trail XP50 and I told him to buy the Trail 2 or get a Thermion.

Originally Posted By: G AndersonKirsch, when is the expected release of the Trail 2? I have a friend that is wanting a Trail XP50 and I told him to buy the Trail 2 or get a Thermion. I have heard of multiple reasons including COVID and waiting on approval for import from the FDA due to the laser rangefinder. I don't heard a firm date from Pulsar.

Back