243 Win and H414

pyscodog

First trip to the range with my newly build 243 and the CBI barrel. I used H4895, 87 grain V-Max and 90 grain Game Changers, 15 of each. All loads were mild as mainly just doing the recommended break in. I did shoot groups and with exception to a couple of groups, I had some serious fryers. I just kinda shrugged it off to a clean barrel and maybe cleaning solvent in the barrel. Second trip, I loaded 20 rounds. This time using 80 grain Bergers, Fed 210M primers and H414. Starting at 42 grains, 43,44,45. All these loads shot exceptionally well and showed no pressure signs until I reached the 45 grain loads. 4 for the 5 showed no pressure but the 5th shot had a mild primer swipe and the bolt was just a tad harder to lift that the 4 previous rounds. The temp was in the low 90's and cooling the barrel was getting tough even though I was letting the rifle set quite a while before each different load tested. I know the H414 can be a little temperature sensitive so is this what I was seeing? I usually don't use H414 in the 243 but thought I might try it. I liked the groups but don't want to fight pressure. Maybe a change in powder? Or maybe a different seating depth? I had the Bergers kissing the lands.

I have a 28” Pro Hunter for my Encore.
Hybrid 100V gave me some excellent groups out to 650 yards and speeds that were up there. All book loads, nothing crazy.
I have an itch to scratch, seriously looking at a 243 barrel for a bolt gun.

I bought a Criterion Remage from Northland. Just starting to work loads and so far its impressing me. I'm hopeful that groups get even better as I go. Largest 5 shot group at 100 was about 5/8 of an inch and smallest was under a half. Thats just my second time out and just now have 50 rounds through the barrel.

IMR 4831 is the same way! It spikes easily in hot weather. I would maybe try a extreme powder, Or just leave it at 44 gr and mark the box as "MAX" hot weather load. You could work it up a little more when the temps start cooling..

Sounds like the new barrel is performing in step with the Hodgdon manual. Try superformance or the Win 6.5 for higher velocity and more temp stability. Find your seating depth with a load that showed minimal vertical dispersion. Then fine tune the powder charge.

I haven't tried the StaBall powder yet. Not sure I've even seen it on the racks. I think I'll go looking for it locally. I liked the 414 but don't want to fight temps and I hear it can be pretty sensitive to temperature.

Originally Posted By: pyscodogI haven't tried the StaBall powder yet. Not sure I've even seen it on the racks. I think I'll go looking for it locally. I liked the 414 but don't want to fight temps and I hear it can be pretty sensitive to temperature.

Im using IMR Enduron 4955 in my 6mm/243 mag to push a 85gr speer bullet.
It is about the same burn rate as the 4831 but much less sensitive to heat. It may be a bit slow in your 243! But then again, maybe not!! one thing for sure, it will fill the case very well.

I found some StaBALL 6.5 but didn't buy it. The counter person said he had heard some negatives about it. He said granted it was very temperature stable and speed was good but accuracy was the problem. He told me most people that he spoke with couldn't get the accuracy they wanted with the powder. Middle of the road accuracy was the best it would do. I watched a video from GAP rifles and he raved about the powder. In my opinion, banging steel doesn't require the same degree of accuracy as shooting bench rest. I know its apples and oranges but I will sacrifice a little speed for tighter groups any day. Anyone had experience with this powder? Was the information I was given wrong? I don't need another pound of powder setting on the shelf that I won't use. Thanks!

My Sako 579 in 243 loves 414 with 69 Berger’s and 70 Nosler BT’s. I don’t remember off hand the load but it’s pretty hot.

Originally Posted By: spotstalkshootShooters world Long Rifle could be worth trying, supposedly optimized for 6 and 6.5's. Wish someone carried it around me.

I saw it in the store but never gave it a thought.

Originally Posted By: jshI have a 28” Pro Hunter for my Encore.
Hybrid 100V gave me some excellent groups out to 650 yards and speeds that were up there. All book loads, nothing crazy.
I have an itch to scratch, seriously looking at a 243 barrel for a bolt gun.

H100v is all I use in my 243. I tried all the powders, H414 is ok but Hybrid 100 out performed it in my experience plus 414 burns hotter. In my CBI barrel Hybrid gave better groups, more speed over the chrony, and burns cooler. Its not an easy powder to find at most reloading shops.

jsh, start with an action and do a nut job barrel, one that comes from Wisconsin.

My .243 loves BLC(2) with 75gr Nosler Ballistic Tips. I use this combination for prairie dogs in northern Arizona where the temps are anywhere from low 80s to upper 90s. I have had no pressure issues and only an occasional flyer that could be just me. Temperature stability has been excellent as well.
I have a 22" Shilen 1:10 barrel on a Mauser action.

Last edited:
Back