Optics for Defense and Hunting?

Belo

Last year was my first season out after yotes (night).

Recently picked up my first AR. I'd like to put a red dot on it for range and defense, but it will also replace my .30-06 that I used unsuccessfully last year.

Looks like there really isn't an optic out there for both situations but thought I'd ask if anyone is running a setup that works for both. Unlikely I ever shoot over 150-200 yards.

thank in advance.

You can't have it both ways, but a Leupold VX-R 2-7x33 FireDot might appeal to you. I took this double at about 10-15 yards, the FireDot is great for close shots.

35031441513_8fe12eb79e_c.jpg

Originally Posted By: DiRTY DOGYou can't have it both ways, but a Leupold VX-R 2-7x33 FireDot might appeal to you. I took this double at about 10-15 yards, the FireDot is great for close shots.

I believe you can. There are plenty of 1-8 power scopes with illuminated reticals out there that when on 1 power cam act as a red dot and can be turned up for at distance work.

Originally Posted By: DiRTY DOGYou can't have it both ways, but a Leupold VX-R 2-7x33 FireDot might appeal to you. I took this double at about 10-15 yards, the FireDot is great for close shots.

yeah that's what I figured. I think maybe just swapping them out during and out of season might be the route I take. thank you.

I use the VXR 1-4, fantastic scope from a fantastic company. I have beat the snot out of mine dropped off car driving down the road, slipped on ice crashing down, falling through ice crashing down, broke sling and crashing down... I broke one part because of an aftermarket throw lever I landed on, when I got the scope back from Leupold they had fixed the problem, replaced the glass and tightened up the loose scope turrets, better than new.

1-4 is a bit anemic I have found for coyotes under a full moon, even at 200 and less, 2-7 would be a better hunting choice I think but I still am sticking with my 1-4.

I have a 2-7 Redfield. It is more or less the same thing as Dirty Dog has, just not as fancy.

I have no problem shooting tight groups at 200-300 yards. Close shots are easy as pie at 2 power.

Price is around $200 at optic planet.

Here

I also have one of those VXR's in 1-4. Lightest scope around that one. Very nice glass. Has a red dot. My only gripe is that it works of Mil's. I like MOA's Not that it matters much in this context.

Now for Red dots...

I have 2 Eotechs and 2 Aimpoints. Both have advantages and disadvantages.

Eotechs are the most shooter friendly optic around. I love shooting through a box.

Aimpoints work great also. You can mount a magnifier on each.

No matter what... Buy an expensive anything from Brownells. They have your back if something goes wrong.

You can spend tons of time researching low power variable, vs red dot. The sky is the limit on price, if you have the money.

For Coyote hunting it is 2-7 for me.

For the end of the world apocalypse, it will be one of my 4 red dots. Eotechs can run off of two double A's also. The engergizer lithium batteries are game changers.

If your Surfire weapon light uses CR123's go Eotech.

If you get the style that runs off double A's you can get an Aimpoint or an Eotech.

For all out battery life Aimpoint wins.

If you turn your Eotech off when you are done shooting it, batteries last for a couple years easy.

Blah Blah Blah

Burris 4X 1.5-6x40mm German#4 w/illuminated dot. I'm trying a Konus Pro-30 1.5-6x40mm with illuminated circle dot this season.

RsoqoI.jpg

I have a holo sight on my bow but I've tried them on my rifles and shotguns and see no advantage over a low power variable.

All my combo(rifle/shotgun) guns wear 1-4x20mm scopes on them. They are about as fast as you can get and still be able to do precision work at 300 yards.

ZQlIF8.jpg

UmGSI4.jpg

Last edited:
I agree with the 1x4 statement. They are fast. When i used to shoot competitively, the 1x4 was my go to. You can leave it on 1.25 power and shoot fast and dang accurate at 150 yards.

As a few have mentioned, a 1-4 or 1-6 with illuminated reticle should work well for you. You can run it like a red dot on 1x and turn up the zoom and have a scope that will get you there at the ranges you're working at. My prefrence would be with a 1-6 that has a 34mm tube.

Originally Posted By: Bob AzadiAs a few have mentioned, a 1-4 or 1-6 with illuminated reticle should work well for you. You can run it like a red dot on 1x and turn up the zoom and have a scope that will get you there at the ranges you're working at. My prefrence would be with a 1-6 that has a 34mm tube.

I have the burris xtr ii 1-8 with a 34mm tube. Great scope but is mighty big and heavy for what it is.

Look at a 1-4 or 1-6 LPVO. I have a Primary Arms ACSS retical on my 16" 300BO upper and it can be dialed down to 1x. With the illumination turned on, very much like a red dot. It's a very similar reticle the Acog and I really like it.

Originally Posted By: MPFDLook at a 1-4 or 1-6 LPVO. I have a Primary Arms ACSS retical on my 16" 300BO upper and it can be dialed down to 1x. With the illumination turned on, very much like a red dot. It's a very similar reticle the Acog and I really like it.

These are good scopes with a great reticle for the money.

Back