Knife Steel

soup

Gents ,
I’ve got a knife made about 15 or 20 years ago by a knife maker named Ramon from NJ .
The steel is BG42 . I’m wondering if anyone knows much about this steel ?
The sheath he made is leather with a couple of very thin magnets in it , keeps the knife secured even upside down.

Thank you in advance for your time and consideration.
Soup

Last edited:
It's good stuff. At one time BG-42 was a premium steel used by a lot of custom knifemakers. I have owned several knives with BG-42 and always been very satisfied with it's performance.

Its a high quality stainless, good edge retention, hard on manufacturing equipment.
Buck offered a few models from their custom shop up until ~2008.
Was once compared to D2 for durability and sharp edge.

link: BG-42 composition

Last edited:
Thank you fellows for the information.
I lent it to a guide on a bear hunt in Manitoba , actually it was a taxidermist they brought in , when I got it back I noticed several scratches. No nicks or chips but I was not happy .
My wife and children had that made for me as a gift .

Thank you once again, be safe and have a nice weekend .
Semper Fi
Soup

Hi Guys. New here! I make knives and have a metal fab and materials background. You can polish out the scratches no problem. Just be careful not to overheat the edge if you are using something like a buffing wheel. If the steel turns colors under your polisher then you're in trouble.

Welcome to PM Bob.
You make a really good point, when I formed fixed blade hunters from heat-treated blanks,
always sprayed water to keep the metal from over-heating.

Back