Buying new rifles...

pyscodog

...that don't look new. Just went to a LGS for some reloading stuff and was looking at a few new rimfires. One was a Browning T-bolt and the other a Ruger American. Both NIB rifles were pretty dinged up. The Ruger even had a small chip in the grip area. I mentioned it to the sales person and he just shrugged his shoulders. Something to the effect of saving me time from doing it myself. I hate buying a new gun that looks used. The Browning was in walnut and the stock was beat to crap. I asked if he had another in the box and he said not in walnut. Seems to me there should be a little discount for the condition they were in. They have so many rifle that there is no room in a rack so they just lean them up on the floor and they bang against each other. Even the racks they have are crammed full. I've turned away from some of their rifles for this reason even when the prices are pretty good. Just my thoughts, I could be wrong.

Last edited:
They are the largest reloading shop around and have a great inventory. They just don't take very good care of their rifle inventory. Granted, not all the rifles are bruised but several are and it happened to be the ones I looked at yesterday. They just have to much inventory and not enough room to safely display them.

I hate sounding flippy but the place has an incredible amount of reloading supplies at very good prices. I buy probably 95% of my supplies there. They have a butt load of pistols, and there prices are very hard to beat anywhere. Lots of AR's, lever guns and a pretty good selection of hunting grade shotguns to, as well as several used guns. They just don't have rack space for their long guns. It like putting 10 gallons of crap in a 5 gallon bucket. They have them lined up on the floor leaning against the racks that are already over loaded. One falls, a bunch fall. There is barely room to walk behind the counters. I think they mean well, just to much inventory for the space they DON'T have.

Originally Posted By: pyscodogI hate sounding flippy but the place has an incredible amount of reloading supplies at very good prices. I buy probably 95% of my supplies there. They have a butt load of pistols, and there prices are very hard to beat anywhere. Lots of AR's, lever guns and a pretty good selection of hunting grade shotguns to, as well as several used guns. They just don't have rack space for their long guns. It like putting 10 gallons of crap in a 5 gallon bucket. They have them lined up on the floor leaning against the racks that are already over loaded. One falls, a bunch fall. There is barely room to walk behind the counters. I think they mean well, just to much inventory for the space they DON'T have.

That sounds like an incredible place to shop and to spend money.

You had better find another gun shop. Just think what your good will look like if you have to have some real work on it.
He cannot even take care of a new gun in a box. MD

Its not like everyone of them is beat to he11, but there are a few and just happened to be the two I looked at that day. I've seen plenty on here for sale with "minor safe dings".

And they aren't all in box's.

Originally Posted By: pyscodogIts not like everyone of them is beat to he11, but there are a few and just happened to be the two I looked at that day. I've seen plenty on here for sale with "minor safe dings".

And they aren't all in box's.

A used rifle with "safe dings" is just that. A used rifle bought as is.

A new rifle with dings because of poor storage and display options is not worth buying at a new price.

Like others have said, I'd look for a better managed shop to spend my money at. The place sounds like a major abortion in progress.

I agree. That's the reason I didn't buy either rifle at NIB prices. But in their defense, its only a few, not all of them. Just asking, how much discount is a few bump worth?? I've never asked for a discount, I just don't buy it.

Originally Posted By: pyscodogI agree. That's the reason I didn't buy either rifle at NIB prices. But in their defense, its only a few, not all of them. Just asking, how much discount is a few bump worth?? I've never asked for a discount, I just don't buy it.

I'll vote for a $4.37 price discount per ding? Am I close?
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: pyscodogLOL, they might be paying me to take it.

Doncha' wish....
laugh.gif

psycho, the consummate bargain hunter.

Hum, and I complained because I never got a CZ from Buds with a fancy piece of wood..

Reloading supplies are hard to come by in the county I live in! I would probably deal with them on that, but couldn't handle paying full price a new rifle that looks like you described.

Wanted to buy a CZ 452 17HMR years ago from a shop, was supposed to be new but it had a very obvious ding in the stock, they refused to deal on the price any, I couldn’t understand why because it was very obvious, I wasn’t being picky, I had to walk away.

Once picked up a new Ruger M77 Hawkeye with a walnut stock from Gander before they closed doors. Shelf price was around $720 I believe in 2012. Had a good ding on the corner of the forend and it had probably been sitting a while cause they offered to knock $100 without me even asking. I did take it and it did not end up shooting very well, ended up selling it to a local guy for $495. Pretty wood but didnt like the Matte bluing

Back