Sightmark Wraith

Yeah, all the bells and whistle stuff on the 4k, to my way of thinking is useless. I guess some others will like the features. What appeals to me most is powering up quickly, day / night capability, resolution, video & audio, battery life, eye relief AND the ballistic calculator. I found the ballistic calculator to perform beautifully on my old model X-Sight 2. It was spot on at the various distances I tested it at. I don't need a compass, wifi etc.

All of these scopes are a work in progress and basically we are the testing board, but also companies pay attention to what we hunters think. Each new model sees improvements over the last. Hopefully the Wraith will have audio in future models, along with better battery life. I am like Kirsch in that I can live with an external battery. That part isn't a deal breaker for me either, but the lack of audio is. That's just how I like things.

Burnsome... said:
6mm - You're spot on about the battery life on the 4k. Something like 18 hours run time on a full charge, which is mighty handy. I really like mine.

Kirsch - what type/brand of external battery pack for the Wraith and how much run time? If it wasnt too bulky and would attach somewhere convenient on a bolt gun it wouldnt be a deal breaker for me.

I'm simplistic with my night hunting requirements. The 4k is overkill with all the bells and whistles for me so I dont use any of it. Just give me a reticle and a coyote to shoot and I'm good with that. [/quot

A reticle & a coyote +1 O YEA.

Last edited:
Ok Kirsch! I have a pocket juice already will that work? How do you mount those onto the scope or rail? Maybe I should look before I ask! Less things to go wrong works for me!!!

Originally Posted By: Burnsome... Kirsch - what type/brand of external battery pack for the Wraith and how much run time? If it wasn't too bulky and would attach somewhere convenient on a bolt gun it wouldn't be a deal breaker for me. I don't have my Wraith yet, but according to the specs, it will allow any 5v external power source.

The TNVC Battery Pack could be an option, but I won't know until I get the Wraith. I believe you would need a usb-c to micro usb adapter. How this would mount on a bolt gun is the question at least if using the weaver rail for IR.

I really like the Anker battery packs. There are cheaper options but Anker tends to get some of the best reviews and scores of any brand. If you wish to keep the IR light, you could potentially mount the Anker 5000 round battery pack on the other side of the scope if there is enough rail with something like this
offset flashlight mount. This is in theory only until I get the Wraith and do some testing.

If you don't mind wires, you could get something like this that goes on your butt stock. I ran something like this with my ATN and it was OK.

Originally Posted By: BoommeupOk Kirsch! I have a pocket juice already will that work? How do you mount those onto the scope or rail? As far as the Pocket Juice, the ones I found on Amazon did deliver a 5V - 2.4 amp power supply, so it could work. It really comes down to where do you want to keep or mount the battery pack. For the Pocket Juice, I would look at something like mentioned above with the butt stock, or just get a different external for this device.

Originally Posted By: Burnsome...Thanks Kirsch! Forget to answer battery life. This is just a guess but I ran a 10,000 mAh on my ATN Xsight II and it would last about at least 20 hours. If it was the 5,000 that I listed above, probably 8-10 hours. However, without knowing the actual draw, it is only a guess .

Good job, Greg.

How does the view look with your eye vs. the video?

Looking forward to what you come up with to record sound. Timing and syncronization of sound with video will be important.

Originally Posted By: 6mm06
I hope the contrast is better on the Wraith than the ATN 4k. I love the 4k otherwise, but the view of a target animal merges too much with background.

You are exactly right about that 6mm06 .. My new atn 4k arrived on 4/27/19 .. Sunday night I did a side by side night comparison with a photon 6x12x50s rt model .. Both scopes were topped with sniper hog 66 lrx 850nm lights .. Both scopes had similar distance but the photon had a touch more distance .. I was suprised that the photon had superior clarity that was very easy to see the difference .. The atn had more than double the field of view compared to the photon ..
I have experminted with the atn and different hole sizes in a lens cap to see if i can improve the contrast .. A 1/2 inch hole helps some in the daylight .. Of the different hole sizes i tried at night a 1 inch hole was the best but it was still a far cry from being as good as the photon .. The ir light on the atn had a dimable tail cap .. On the light i changed brightness and focus but was still unable to match the clarity of the photon .. Based on this comparison
I suspect the wraith will out perform the atn 4k in some areas as well

Originally Posted By: 6mm06
Good job, Greg.

How does the view look with your eye vs. the video?

Looking forward to what you come up with to record sound. Timing and syncronization of sound with video will be important.

For the most part I felt that the video was much the same as my view through the scope. The last shots on the above video (shooting the pig), the video seems darker than what I was seeing in the viewfinder. So, I would say that as long as the illuminator is adjusted correctly, video seems accurate, but if the subject is not well "lit" then the video does seem a bit dark.

What battery pack specs will work?
More specifically what Voltage Output do i need to run with the Wraith?
I was looking at some cheaper powerbanks that compare to Anker brand packs...is there any types of batt pack that could potentially hurt the Wraith, or not be enough power?
Also will any Android type charging cable work?
Im slightly confused on Micro USB and USB-C type connectors.

You are looking for a battery pack that outputs 5V power. I really, really like Anker. You might pay $10 more but they are very good quality packs. What would hurt any electronic device is a power supply that does not put out a consistent voltage.

I can't answer the Android question because I believe different Android phones used different power connections. If my memory is correct, the Wraith uses a Micro USB connection. Many Android phones have used this in the past. It is actually the same type of connection that most power banks use to charge. You are looking for something like this.

USB C connectors are used on many Flir products, and the Bering Optics Hogster. It was mentioned in an earlier post because of a battery pack that may have had a USB C end, so I mentioned they could use an adapter to change it to micro USB.

You still need a way to connect the battery pack to the gun or scope. Some MacGyver something together with Velcro, cable ties, and other methods. The TRB Extended Battery Pack from Night Goggles has an Anker battery pack in it, and also has the picatinny rail adapter. This will allow you to connect it to most AR style guns on the rail, or side, etc wherever you can attach to the Picatinny rail.

Back