maybe a dumb question but......

Brian Shoop

Ok, so this may be a dumb question but what do you all look for when trying to call raccoons, if any of you do it that is? Everything I've looked at on youtube is out of state and just plain different type of terrain. I am in Arizona and I know we have them here and I know I have seen them but cant for the life of me remember where. It absolutely looks like a blast to try and call them in. I know its not season right now but I'd sure like to find some spot when it opens up. Thanks for any advice on calling desert raccoons! - Brian

Brian, while I haven’t called raccoons and can’t offer advice on that subject, I want to first of all welcome you to the forums, and secondly to mention that there is no such thing as a dumb question when trying to gain knowledge. You will find that most members here will eagerly help by revealing their experiences and advice. If you do find success in calling raccoons, be sure to post it to help others.

Any river or creek bottom also lake shores. They like trees to loaf in but I have trapped them out of abandoned beaver bank dens during low water in other states. One of the ones out of beaver den weighed 45# nice raccoon in MN, my uncle in WI treed one with his hounds that went 69#. They are good eating, not much different than pork but be sure to get the scent glands out from under the front legs. we would roast them much like a turkey. We did usually stick to mid sized coons for eating.

Link

https://www.bing.com/search?q=raccoons+i...p;setlang=en-US

Last edited:
I don't try to call them in, although I have had some show up while calling yotes/cats. I go the coon den calling method, which is getting them to come out to either get into the fight or leave the area. Any location that a coon will hole up in is a good spot to try. Thing I like about it is if nothing shows after about 5 minutes, I'm off to the next spot. Been doing this for about 15yrs now and know where the dens are. I'll average 75 or so coons every season within a 25 miles of home.

Haven't done a lot of calling yet, but have hunted n trapped coon. Walk streams and wet areas where it is cooler looking for tracks. When u find there's coon activity in a location look for dens, such as hollow trees,stumps,brush piles and abandoned buildings or barns, for best success. Good hunting

When looking for tracks in the mud along streams I've always been surprised how the rear footprint of the raccoon looks like a little kid's. Makes you see how people would think there are elves & pixies when you see a good coon track.

Arizona is really tough. There is it river down South of The Valley (Phoenix) which is really the only water close but also secluded. We do have a couple lakes a r one the valley but there are LOTS of people always. Thanks all for the advice.

Originally Posted By: Brian ShoopArizona is really tough. There is it river down South of The Valley (Phoenix) which is really the only water close but also secluded. We do have a couple lakes a r one the valley but there are LOTS of people always. Thanks all for the advice.

Brian, check out the farm fields where they run water to water the fields. You will find their tracks in the dusty roads and from there you will have to try to figure out where they lay up. Don't forget to check the culverts that they put under the roads at intersections. Probably would have better luck calling them at night.

Back