Pulsar Accolade 2 XP50 LRF

Ernest49

Today I had this great news, which I do not know whether to define beautiful or ugly: The first Pulsar Accolade 2 XP50 LRF will arrive in Italy next week and it will probably already be mine (hoping that my Accolade 1 will come back without having to add too many €, as they promised me ...). The problem is that I will have to pick it up personally in a nearby Region, but I cannot leave my Region due to restrictions on coronaviruses.
It will have NETD < 40 mK° like all new Pulsar 2 series thermal devices. I found this video on youtube:

I also have good news for Canuckz and G Anderson: they told me that all Pulsar Thermion XP have, as standard, the sensor with NETD < 40 mK°, even if they don't advertise it. Furthermore, both in the English paper manual and in the Italian paper manual, it is written that the Thermion XP50 has the RAV function ...
Finally, I ask you one thing: is it confirmed that Flir / Armasight will no longer produce thermal riflescope devices for civil use?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Ernest49Finally, I ask you one thing: is it confirmed that Flir / Armasight will no longer produce thermal riflescope devices for civil use? This is the Official Announcement from the Flir Website. So to answer your question, Flir confirmed on 1/21/20 they discontinued All night vision and thermal riflescopes and clip-on systems for civilian use at this time.

Thanks for the update on the NETD findings...glad to know my Thermion for sure has that upgrade. Now if we could just get them to go ahead and write up an update for the RAV function...I know I wasn't dreaming it up when I saw it in print but I can say for certain it is NOT a function yet on the Thermion.

Gene

Thanks Kirsch, very kind, precise and fast in response, as always. The Italian importer of Pulsar will be very happy with this confirmation. In fact, the Italian importer of Flir / Armasight does not seem to inspire great sympathy, neither to the other importers, nor to the dealers of Pulsar and Flir / Armasight products.
Changing the subject for a moment, my dearest Korey, sooner or later we will have to scientifically (and it will be a complex and difficult topic) deal with the problem of the relationship between optical magnification, FOV and digital zoom. I sincerely hoped that you would face it, I would have felt more secure. In fact, both from the comparative videos that you made, and from the videos found on the internet, it is clear that the declared magnification does not always seem to coincide with the real one or with what we would expect to observe.

Last edited:
Ernest does that mean the XQ50 Thermion will also have the NETD> 40mK sensor or is that only for the XP models?

G Anderson,
I am waiting for my Pulsar dealer to send me the technical manual in English of your Thermion XP50. But basically he has already read the RAV description over the phone. Theoretically it is almost certain that the Thermion has the RAV function. Since I am a big bale breaker, I asked if they do this pleasure for you: 1) Turn on the Thermion XP50 they have in stock, enter the menu, check if they can activate the RAV function in the video recording sub-menu. They assured me that they will do this test. As soon as I have the answer, I will inform you, both positively and negatively.

DoubleUp,
as Kirsch rightly said, the Pulsar is not very clear on this feature. In the description of the Thermion XP50 and XP38 it is written that they have NETD < 40 mK °. Instead in the description of the brand new Thermion XQ50 model they do not write anything. But I'm more likely to believe Kirsch, who personally went to Las Vegas and spoke to Pulsar technicians. They claimed that all the new Thermion 2020 models had the new sensor with NETD < 40 mK °. Hopefully Pulsar will clear up this mess once and for all. Many of you American night hunters are drawn to this new model, which is priced significantly lower than the XP50. But rightly they would like to pay to definitely have this new sensor ....

Kirsch,
remember that we wait with great interest, that you get into the chair and that, as a professor of optical physics and mathematics, you finally give us a lesson on the relationship that binds: real magnification, apparent magnification, FOV and digital zoom .....

Last edited:
I have now received the photo of the paper manual, which is sent to Pulsar Italiani sellers, of the Pulsar Thermion XP50. I have highlighted in yellow the characteristic that describes the RAV function

2T9e89Y.jpg

Last edited:
Ernest, I was thinking the Thermions had 32 gig internal memory and the older Trails had 16 gig. Maybe I'm wrong or maybe they didn't fully update the descriptions. Thanks!

I should probably not speak up, as I haven't spoke to anyone associated with Pulsar R&D or sales but I'll just say this:

A sensor is a hardware "thing", not software, so Pulsar should have a record of when they started installing the NETD < 40 mK ° sensor - most accomplish this through serial numbers/model numbers.

As for the trail models, we know only the trail models with a 2, have the new sensors. Why Pulsar didn't do that for the Thermion's could be of some concern to a potential purchaser, as I, for one, would want to know for sure, just what my money is getting me.

JoeyJ you took away the words that I had in my head for a long time, but that I had neither the courage nor the ability to express. It is one of the most logical, rational and simple reasoning that I have read in this forum on this specific topic: NETD

Friday afternoon I sold my Pulsar Accolade XP50 lrf to a mountain hunter for € 4200. We went to try it in the mountains at an altitude of 1800 yards. In bright light we saw, at a variable distance between 1100 and 1900 yards, on the other side of the valley, ibex, deer, chamois. After identifying them with thermal binoculars, we visualized them with the spotting scope and photographed them with the mobile phone through the eyepiece. Really fantastic!
Deer:
https://imgur.com/g6Ql0Ea
Ibex :
https://imgur.com/cdwbLN6
Chamois:
https://imgur.com/Md4pCOD
Seen from an altitude of 1800 yards
https://imgur.com/9MeVmVA

https://imgur.com/Vt0BqG8

If we hadn't had the Pulsar Accolade XP50 lrf we wouldn't have seen anything. The mountain hunter was so enthusiastic that he immediately signed me a check for € 4200 !!!! Now without thermal binoculars I seem to be "naked". Now I will have to wait about a month to get the new Pulsar Accolade 2 XP50 lrf model. Before selling my thermal binoculars, I had managed to compare it with the new model. The difference is small, but very significant in observing the details from a great distance. Observing a mountain at a great distance, with Accolade 2 I saw the radio antennas, instead with my Accolade 1 I could not see them. Now I just have to wait ... impatiently.

Back