Fixed power

Decoyed

I've been a predators along time. All 3 of my coyote guns have leupold fx3 6x42 with lr reticule. I also have several old cabelas 6x44 scopes which still work great. In the past I've hunted with every kind of scope in all kinds of variable powers. I've really found the 6x to be the perfect all around scope for my style of hunting. I like great glass but rock solid mechanics inside is a must. Does anyone have any experience with other manufacturers straight power scopes? Maybe scopes that have been great or bad?

I shot a Weaver 6x for a while and have a very old Leupold Mountaineer 6x that still works well.

For hunting I never could get past the tiny FOV on a straight 6x or 4x scope. I shoot mainly 1-4x20mm and 1.5-6x40mm scopes on my predator/deer rifles. I tend to hunt stuff that most think to thick to call preds in though. Most of the time I don't have a shot over 100 yards.

Meopta makes a very nice 6x and the price is pretty reasonable $400-$600. I have a Meopta 1.5-6x40mm that has great glass on it, it has a Ger. #1 reticle and is getting to be my favorite hunting scope. I'm seriously thinking of shooting it in the Egg Shoot this coming year.

Where bouts in MN are you from, I used to run traplines in that country, Elbow Lake, Lake Park, East Grand Forks and Or.

I used to drive down that way and pick up boats from Alumacraft in St. Peter. Most of the time I'd take hiway 10 back home as I find the interstates boring. Good luck with your hunting down there.

I caught one of the first coyotes down around Downer, MN when they were first moving into the Red River Valley. Fox were king back then.

Last edited:
Back in the 80s-early 90s fox were everywhere. Since the coyotes moved in I only see a few fox a year. This state is getting populated and pressure to hunt is getting worse yearly.

I've got a 6X42 Monarch on my H&K 300, a 4x40 Monarch on my WIN 100, 308 deer rifle. And two Burris mini 4xs on my 25-20s. I wish they made more fixed power scopes.

Hurrah for another advocate of fixed power scopes. That's all I use. No fuss, no muss.
The less I have to adjust while in the field, the better I feel. I'm hunting, not making adjustments to my equipment.

NRA Benefactor

The Weaver K6 was nice, but had short eye relief. I still chose it over the FX-3 6x42, as it had a better FOV. But Weaver scopes no longer exist.

Meopta has a great 6x, like someone else mentioned. Would be my first choice. Wish they made a 4x as well, I prefer a 4x for most deer hunting, but apparently I'm the only one, as no manufacturer currently makes one.

I have 3 Sightrons 2 12x Big Skys and a S3 16X They have been working well for me gor awhile. They have been discontinued or I'd have a couple more. Strangly FOV has not been a problem.

I have a 6x42 fixed swarovski scope mounted on a Sako forester .243. This combo has killed several antelope and a few deer. In fact, my largest mule deer was taken with this setup. Never taken it out for coyotes as I have others to chose from. Maybe I need to rethink that....

Back