pup in distress/whines this time of year?

Brian Shoop

Anyone using pup sounds this time of year and if so, what kind of sequence, length of stand, call duration (intermittent or continuous) etc?

Thanks!

Posted it in my thread on being new - I used pup distress - 3 mins on and 30 secs off. But I called in a mountain lion. Took about 12 mins. That’s got to be worth something, right?

Last edited:
All I'm using right now...averaging 3 to 4 minutes when a player shows up. Last one took 12 minutes... but it was night open country and I believe he came from quite a ways..

Went last weekend in Arizona. Called a total of 4 coyotes in throughout a 3 day trip. Started with howls and yipping and moved to pup distress. All came in during pup distress. I know most people go way shorter, but I tried 60-70 min stands this time. All but one took the full hour to come in. Very hilly country where I was at.

Another double and a single last night.
Made 3 stands total.. I've got 3 pup variations... 4 to 5 minutes each one..in the last 3 weeks after work I've made 15 or 16 stands.. killed 6, missed 3 and have had 2 more come in that never gave me a shot opportunity. For around here that is an exceptional return.. all public land. Wish my shooting percentage was better.. the closer they get, the better the odds I'm going to miss.... Go figure..

Thanks all! I got myself a couple of pup in distress and a couple of whines and we'll see what happens on my next outing. I also got some Kick's howler choke tubes for my son and my shotguns.

I called one in this morning started with fawn distress for 10 minutes
Letting it play for 30 seconds off for two minutes then back on for 30. At 11 minutes I switched to hurt pup screams . At17 minutes a coyote came in from my left Noticed it at about 55 yards I
picked up the shotgun clicked safety off it went behind some thick brush. Wind swirled and I could see it pick it’s head up and leave . Bummer , but moral of the story is pup distress is deadly rite now

I've been using pup distress as well but so far all I've been able to bring in is a Moutain Lion. What volume levels are you using for your calling?

I’m hunting in thick thick woods in Connecticut . The furthest I can see this time of year is 60 yards . So I start at about half volume for fawn distress . But with my pup distress I go full volume because the sound doesn’t travel far and I’ve never heard an animal distress in low volume

Back