22 Mag Scope - Opinions Please

Daman

Hey guys, I’m looking for a new scope for a Marlin 922M 22 Mag. This rifle will be my farm rifle. It’s uses are shooting varmints around the farm and on my land. It rides on the side by side and sits by the front door for use as needed. It has had a Simmons 22 Mag 3-9 on it for 15-18 years and no real complaints but I want something a little better. I have been using a Vortex Diamondback HP 3-12x42 with side focus on my 10/22 the last couple of years and it’s a really nice scope in my opinion.

So here is the question. With a $250 max budget what would you recommend? I’m not spending a cent more on a scope for a rimfire. I have a like on a nice used Diamondback HP just like the one I have for $225.

I am also considering the Burris FullField II.

Burris Full-Field II Is an O.K. option. A used Bushnell Elite for $200 would be fine too. For plugging smallish varmints I prefer the 17 HMR, but that’s another thread, I know.

A clear 3-9 should be plenty for a 22.

If you are going to put $250 into a rimfire scope I sure as heck wouldn't get a 3-9 unless you are going to competitions and want better glass.

Vortex 4-12 Diamondback Tactical is a great scope around that $200 mark.
Mulller makes a target scope 8-32 that is decent, may be a touch more than $250 but could find it for that
Don't rule out Athlon Talos
Also, Primary arms 4-14 FFP is a decent scope.

I just wouldn't settle for 3-9. It's always nice having a little extra zoom especially since it's 22 mag. I have a 4-12 Diamondback on mine and it works well.

Camaraland still has the Burris 4X 1.5-6x40mm w/#4+illuminated dot for $259. This is a euro quality scope, great glass in it. The 22 mag will never make it as a long range rifle but it packs more punch than a 22LR for larger game. I use it for called coyotes where noise is a problem, makes a great round for cats, fox and jackrabbits.

CZ-455 w/Burris 4X 1.5-6x40mm Win 40gr Jacketed HP's
1gYQvc.jpg

Link
https://cameralandny.com/shop/tags/rifle...riation=1946159

Last edited:
Go with a scope from a company with a lifetime warranty. In the end you get more than what you pay for if you have trouble. Burris and Leupold are solid and treat their customers like gold.

I have Baush&Lomb and Nikons on several rifles and they are good scopes but I probably can't get them fixed should something go wrong.

Vortex and Sightron are building their customer bases offering great quality. Grafs has Sightrons on sale. This weekend several sales are going on. Great time to shop.

Moment of silence to honor those who made this holiday possible for the rest of us.

I ended up putting a Nikon 3-9x40 on it with Talley lightweights.

It’s a proven scope for me and I picked it up super cheap used so I can move it to another rifle if I decide to upgrade further and not be out anything really.

I have had half a dozen 22 Mags, and they will shoot and kill farther than you would realize. I like the target knobs with a piece of type writer correction tape on the knob with the yardage marked on the tape.

I shoot 40g Winchester hp. If you have the power, you can kill crows at a remarkable distance, same for coyotes. I have a 4x16 Bushnell 4200 on one of my 22 mags and a burris mini 4-12 with target knobs on another rifle.

When I lived in Az., I had a leupold 3.5x10 AO on one Ruger skeleton stock Stainless 22 Mag(sighted in for 100 yds), and I killed a lot of coyotes with this rifle and 40g Win hp. My longest shot with the 22 mag has been 125 yards with him facing me, one shot DRT. For hunting in the thick in Az, I had a Marlin 25M that I had replaced the trigger spring with an ink pen spring to come up with a fantastic trigger. I had a Leupold 1.5-5 on this rifle.

Lately, I picked up a tube feed Marlin, and this rifle is wicked accurate after a trigger job.

For a scope you are going to beat the heck out of bouncing around the truck, I would try and find a used Burris signature 3x12 with the adjustable AO as these have proved to be bomb proof tough scopes.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: DamanThanks guys!

I do have a spare Nikon Prostaff 3-9x40 laying around I forgot about. I may try it for a while.

Prostaffs have decent glass & are trust worthy IMO. Parallax could be a problem at closer ranges though. I Just put the prostaff 2-7x32 on my CZ455 & really like it! Parallax is supposedly set @ 75yrds on these.
I did notice some @ 50yrds but it wasn't real bad.

I had a bushnell AR optics 4.5x18 laying around and needed something on a 10/22. I tried it and love it. With the side focus, mine will focus really close for squirrels. It has target knobs if you want to "dope" your scope. It does seem to have thicker crosshairs but they don't bother me for critters.
Brien

Originally Posted By: AcroninVortex 4-12 Diamondback Tactical is a great scope around that $200 mark.
Mulller makes a target scope 8-32 that is decent, may be a touch more than $250 but could find it for that
Don't rule out Athlon Talos

I just wouldn't settle for 3-9. It's always nice having a little extra zoom especially since it's 22 mag. I have a 4-12 Diamondback on mine and it works well.

Originally Posted By: DamanThanks guys!

I do have a spare Nikon Prostaff 3-9x40 laying around I forgot about. I may try it for a while.

When/if you decide to upgrade.....

I have that Mueller 8-32 and it is indeed "decent" but the
quality of glass is lacking. Also have a Vortex Viper, but
again, the quality of glass is lacking. For the money, the
Viper (which is more expensive than the Diamondback) should be
much clearer than it is.

As for the Athlon Talos....WINNNER WINNER!!! I have an Argos
as well as the Talos and the glass on both is superb. The
Talos is on a .22rf and 4-16x (actually over-scoped). I really
like the side-focus scopes and the Talos has it. A model with
Mil-dot is available for $159.97 or BDC 600 IR for $189.99
can be found here:
https://www.amazon.com/Athlon-Optics-Riflescope-Second-Reticle/dp/B01APT0HRG/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=athlon%2Btalos&qid=1591552629&sr=8-3&th=1

Should the scope die on my CZ455 in .22wmr, it will get
replaced with the same Talos. Pretty hard to beat the life time
warranty as well.

Athons are good scopes IMO. Yea they are made in china! but have a lifetime warranty & are good & bright.. I have a Neos 6-18x44 on my custom 6mm mag. I also "had" a Talos 4-16 (I swap scopes like underwear lol) I honestly didn't see any differances between the two scopes other than the obvious objective size & power range differences, so I sold the talos. I really do like the burris fullfied 2-7x35 for a hunting scope on my 22 mag. Its parralax free @ 75yrds, but seems more stable than most scopes even at closer ranges. I have a Nikon 6-18x40ao set up in mounts for this rifle so I can just slide it back on the rifle for target work. Its usually very close & requires little adjustment.

Camaraland still has the Burris 4X 1.5-6x40mm w/#4+illuminated dot for $259

Just ordered this scope for a Marlin .17 HMR Looks like it was just what I was looking for. Thanks for the info

Originally Posted By: Danh20Camaraland still has the Burris 4X 1.5-6x40mm w/#4+illuminated dot for $259

Just ordered this scope for a Marlin .17 HMR Looks like it was just what I was looking for. Thanks for the info

We are down to less than 20 of these scopes left in inventory

This is one heck of a calling scope, they are tough, have an incredible field of view, I pay $125-150 for them:

Jap made scope

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-TASCO-3-12x52mm-EURO-CLASS-Rifle-Scope-30mm-Duplex-Japan-Made-NIB-RARE/353156036072?hash=item5239bd75e8:g:M4kAAOSwoXFfJFFL

Back