White Oak or JP?

jschroed

I’m looking for a new long range 223 AR-15. The main application would varmint hunting. If you have any experience with either of these manufacturers I’d like to hear about it.

Last edited:
I built a 204R with a white oak barrel and was very pleased. Great to deal with. Accuracy is good for an AR. About 0.6” 5 shots at 100 with hand loads I worked up.

I have a WOA 223 with over 3300 rds shot thru it and I can still shoot 5 shots and cover them with a dime. Its the 1 - 12 twist 20 inch and I couldnt be happier.

I shoot the Sierra 45gr sp. Not even a flashie bullet.

Last edited:
I have both, but they aren't coyote rifles and they are apples and oranges, themselves. I have a WOA for CMP service rifle and a JP-15 with an ultralight barrel for 3-gun. I can say both companies have been great to do business with and support their respective competition communities.

If you're just looking to buy a barrel and assemble something with it, I can't say there would likely be any noticeable difference in quality. If that's your plan, I'd also look at Criterion (I have a couple of those and they've been great, too) and Liberty/Satern (I've seen some amazing groups fired through their barrels in ARs built by a buddy).

Assembling an AR, as I'm sure you know, isn't complicated. Stepping up from an amalgamation of parts, quality or otherwise, requires a knowledgeable builder, though. WOA builds some excellent uppers, as does JP. If you used Liberty/Satern, I'd go with Aquilla Custom Gun Works for the build.

I don't think you can go wrong with either but I only have personal experience with JP.

I have 2 JP barrels and I'm very pleased with both. My 223 Wylde JP will shoot 5 shots in 1/2 MOA consistently when there is minimal wind. I have had some 5 shot groups that are 1/4" at 100 yards. When I called JP to order I talked to a guy who shoots competitively and actually understands their products inside and out. These days it isn't normal to have someone that knowledgeable on the phone when you call to order. I also ordered the bolt carrier, gas block and silent capture spring from JP. I did have to replace my JP titanium firing pin after about 200-300 rounds on my 6mm Creedmoor but JP replaced it free of charge. I have over 1000 rounds through my 223 Wylde JP without any issues. JP also claims their barrels will last longer than others. It will take me at least another couple years to get enough rounds through my JP barrels to see if that is true. I would be thrilled if I'm still shooting tight groups with my 223 at 10,000 rounds and tight groups with my 6mm Creedmoor at 4000 rounds.

The 223 Wylde JP I have is a great gun but I don't think it is a great option for long shots on coyotes. A 223 has more wind drift and lacks the energy that I prefer for coyotes at longer ranges. I'm sure I could kill a coyote with it at 400 yards or even 600 yards but feel a lot more confident with my 22-250 or one of my 6mm Creedmoors on longer shots, especially if it is windy.

Last edited:
my 7 twist is a WOA barrel and i absolutely *LOVE* it. we take it out to my cousins and dust charcoal briquett's out on the hill at about 185 with ease.

I had a 22in JP 6.5CM on an AR10. It was pretty accurate. However, I cannot understand why they use the profile they do. It is very similar to a Govt profile. I really prefer to have more meat near the chamber with a taper down to the muzzle. I think the primary reason they do this is so you can buy one of their heat-sinks and put it on the barrel under the handguards.

Back