Thermal scopes

JCCinOhio

Been a while since I looked at new models, specs, and whatnot.. What's the best budget scope going now? I looked for the FLIP PTS and seems like they stopped making them? I have an older Pulsar and like it, how are the thermions? Asking for a buddy so he'd prob go for the cheaper one vs paying for the 640. Discuss.

When you stated, "What's the best budget scope going now", the answer as others on this thread have commented is the Bering Optics Hogster-R. The Hogsters have quickly become the "hottest" selling scope at Night Goggles with the 35mm being the most popular.

I have used most of the low-mid range thermals and I have never used a thermal in this price range that has the image quality, dependability, versatility, and warranty of the Hogster-R 35mm. I have used this scope in negative temps, used it in 98%+ humidity, put it on and removed it from numerous guns, and used it as a scanner. It has never locked up or had any issues at all. It just flat out works. Add the fact it is has a 4 year warranty and sells for well under $3K, and is the reason I talk about it a lot, and why it has been such a popular item at Night Goggles.

I used it a lot during the end of our night season, and put out several clips. Instead of linking to 7+ videos, I threw them all together in this video compilation. You will notice on the first few clips the icons and reticle are blinking. This is not an issue with the Bering Optics Hogster but was due to the DVR I was using.

You commented on the Flir PTS series. The Flir PTS233 isn't being manufactured any longer, and really struggles in high humidity. Another entry level scope talked about a lot is the Pulsar RXQ30. In my opinion, the Pulsar RXQ30's image quality isn't as good, and it doesn't have as many features or as good of a warranty. The next step up in the Pulsar line will be the Thermion XQ38 or XQ50 when they release. I believe they will be good choices but with their standard scope appearance will not be as versatile as the Hogster, and are more expensive.

Kirsch, In your opinion, what is the best Thermal for under $3500 for ND coyote hunting. I don't need all the bells and whistles, like video and such. I'd rather spend money on clarity, battery life, and be able to shoot comfortably at 200 yds.

Wait a few months and I will give you a better answer. I sold my Flir PTS536 units because Flir stopped making civilian scopes, so am in search of a new thermal or thermals as we speak. I hope to be testing some new options in the next few months. The Hogster-R 35mm is a heck of a scope but for ND, open country hunting, I personally like a little more mag but you can see many shots in the video above that were 200 and beyond. More information to come soon.

Keep in mind, if all you are spending is $3500, do you already have a thermal scanner? In my opinion, the thermal scanner is the most important piece to be a good, consistent coyote night hunter. You can't shoot what you can't see.

If someone who has a new thermal rifle scope, they never used, how would a person figure out what it was worth.......???

I don't have a scanner. What do you recommend? And tripod too? I can spend more, and will, for a solid equipment I enjoy using that will last a long time.

Originally Posted By: AGL4nowIf someone who has a new thermal rifle scope, they never used, how would a person figure out what it was worth.......??? Send me a PM with the brand, model, and year, and I will give you my best guess. No promises, but have seen a lot of scopes sold, so can hopefully give you a ballpark. Lots of thermals have been sold in the classifieds here, so might be a good place to start.

Originally Posted By: NickNielsenI don't have a scanner. What do you recommend? And tripod too? I can spend more, and will, for a solid equipment I enjoy using that will last a long time. Will send you a PM to not derail this thread too much.

Hey Kirsch

How many rounds do you estimate you have on your personal Hogster? Have you had any issues or trouble with it?

Are you using it on an AR? .223? Thanks!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: frerHow many rounds do you estimate you have on your personal Hogster? Have you had any issues or trouble with it? Are you using it on an AR? .223? Thanks! I am not sure on a round count. I shot 20 coyotes with it right at the end of our night season. Between sighting in, coyotes, rabbits and shooting for fun, maybe 100. I used it in temps ranging from 90 last summer to -15 during coyote hunting.

My main coyote hunting gun that the Hogster was on is a suppressed 22-250 AR-10. However, I slapped it on my .17 HMR for some backyard rabbit fun as well.

The part that is so impressive besides the image is the fact that I used it on multiple guns, and then most nights my coyote hunting partner used it as his scanner. We probably used it as a scanner for close to 100 hours last year. In the past 3 years, I have ran Trijicon, Flir, Pulsar, ATN, PRG, Sightmark, and Bering Optics. This is the only digital or thermal scope that I had zero problems with. It never froze up, glitched, or did anything odd the entire time. It was absolutely rock solid.

The Hogster has been a very popular item at Night Goggles. Users seems absolutely delighted with the Hogster so this adds to my confidence. When you buy a thermal from Night Goggles, you have a 7 day window that if you don't like it or want to exchange, you can do so. Buy with confidence.

If you are looking for a thermal that is versatile, cost-effective, with a great warranty, the Bering Optics Hogster is a great answer as long as you don't need high magnification. Once you move the Hogster-R off base mag (1.4x on the 25mm and 2x on the 35mm), the image deteriorates very quickly.

Will add my 2cents on the hogster 35. Got mine a few weeks ago and like it. Unfortunately it failed the other nite and I had to return to bearing optics. It failed to power on withbatteries. But would turn on with external power. Only other problem was I couldn't take it off to use on other gun and be zeroed when remounted. May be issue with rail used on guns. So the idea of using as scanner and then mount for shooting doesn't work for me. Other than that it is a solid unit.

Rccook, welcome to Predator Masters. Thank you for your input. I wanted to reply to a few of your points. Rails do vary between guns, so make sure to change your tension between guns. Of course always mount to the same rail spot as well as follow the same mounting routine. Always push your mount all the way to the front of the rail position and then lock the mount in place.

I checked my zero every time when mounting back on and found very few times I ever had to adjust and if so it was trivial amounts. I began just mounting and hunting. This has been my personal experience with the Hogster-R 35. The Night Goggles version has the locking version that is an upgrade over the standard mount, so I can’t speak to the non-locking mount.

From a battery perspective, did you try different CR123 brands? I’ve heard of issues with different night vision and thermals due to differences in the height of the positive terminal. Sounds like Bering Optics is taking care of it but just something to try if anyone else is having an issue.

Hi Korey, as you already know, I have been selling the Pulsar Accolade XP50 LRF for 9 days. The mountain hunter calls me every day to describe what he sees with the Accolade I sold him. He is enthusiastic, incredulous and very happy with the purchase. Yesterday he kept me on the phone for an hour to tell me the wonders of the Accolade! (He had seen a group of 10 chamois at a distance of 3 miles !!). Do you think that I have drained the battery of the mobile phone !!! I seem to be naked without my thermal binoculars! Now I have to wait until July to have the Accolade 2 that I had already tried and compared with my Accolade 1 .... I fully agree with you, you must have a minimum magnification greater than 2X for a thermal rifle scope to be mounted on a rifle. The mountain hunter has the Pulsar Trail XP50, with a minimum 1.6X magnification. It is really too little. If you zoom in to 3.2X you can already see better, but you begin to lose a little definition. If you zoom in to 6.4X the image starts to be pixelated. I would like to buy the new Pulsar Thermion XQ50, which has a minimum 3.5X magnification, but first I would like to be able to try it, or better yet, I would like you to try it yourself. I only trust your judgment dear American night hunter friends! When do you think you can try it? I don't want to make a closed box purchase! And then there is always the mystery to be clarified: does the new Pulsar Trail 2 XQ50 LRF have the new sensor with NETD

Ernest, I know how hard it can be to wait. COVID19 has slowed the production of many items not just thermals, so hopefully Pulsar can still deliver on the dates you are expecting.

I would like to test the Pulsar Thermion XQ50 and/or the Trail2 XQ50LRF. I have sent a message to Pulsar asking to test these units, but so far have heard nothing back from them. I will continue to try but currently have no response from Pulsar saying they will send me a test unit.

Back