300blkout or 5.56/.223 ? And why?

Luna

Im sure this has probably been asked. Which would you go with for a coyote rifle and why? Im in the market for a new pack yote rifle and have narrowed it down to a Ruger American Ranch. I know, I know there's better choices out there but for the money its in my price range. My shots are limited to 350 yards. And it will be suppressed. Thanks for info and insight

there's only a couple projectiles in the 300 blackout that will operate out at that kind of distance based on its velocity. likewise you [beeep] well better know your holds too because past 200 most of them drop pretty heavily.

if you were going to be sub 200 yds 90% of the time the blackout is a great choice and a couple good projo options, but to really have a lot of choces you need to keep your shooting under about 150 - again given a couple very specific bullets (barnes blacktips both the 110 and 120, also the speer gold dots) you can operate further, but the selection really gets thin there.

223 you're gonna have a lot more options that will work at those extended ranges. it'll also give you better trajectory.

hth

I really poo poo'd on 300 Black out when it first came out. Not great accuracy, lots of drop, slow muzzle velocities... I've got two now and I would not hesitate to pick up my 16" Rifle. It was a hodge podge of cheap parts, I found on sale and it flat works. AR stoner barrel shoots MOA out to 300 yards, Primary Arms 1-6x 300BO ACSS, Matrix handguard. Geissele G2S in a Palmetto complete lower. The scope is dead nuts on its BDC out to 400 shooting 1/2 sized silhouettes. The 16" 1-8 twist AR stoner barrel gives me 2400 fps with Win296 and 110 Vmax, and 2.5" groups at 300 on steel. Its not as fast or as flat as a good 50 grain Vmax in a hot 5.56 load. But if you use it at real coyote calling ranges, you'll destroy them. No runners...

If you think it takes a 150+grs of lead to kill a coyote and your willing to dial turrets for everything over 150 yards I guess the 300 Blkt would be fine. NM coyote are pretty easy to kill, my 222 Rem with 52gr bullets I can hold on fur to 250 yards although I've never taken a shot over 100 yards down here(I might be your neighbor with a handle like "Luna"). A 223/5.56 with 50gr bullets will kill every coyote you call and I doubt a 300 BLkt will kill them any deader.

There is the want factor, if you really want a 300 Blkt you will find fault with anything else until you spend time with the 300 Blkt. Lousy shot placement with a 5.56 will be the fault of the cartridge because you know in your heart that the 300 Blkt would have done the job.

So buy what you want, you can always sell it.

I would go with the 223 because it shoots flatter and brass is easier to get.

35 gr to 55 gr bullets at high velocities do a great job of killing coyotes so I have no reason to use a bullet that weighs 3 times more and is much slower on coyotes.

I have to shoot Lead Free bullets. The 22 cal Lead Free Varmint bullets cost quite a bit less than the Lead Free 30 cal bullets do.

I have two 300 blackouts and three 223. If I could only have one for coyotes, I would take the 223 every time because it is flatter shooting. I've killed over 100 southern NM coyotes with a 223 and have never felt the 223 was not enough. I've mostly used 40gr bullets but have used up to 70 gr bullets in my 223's.

If I could have only one predator gun, I would probably be looking at a 6mm Creedmoor or 243 Win. 22-250 or 220 swift would also be solid choices. They are much harder on hides but nice for longer shots, especially on windy days. The 223 is nice because there is a lot of cheap ammo. If you are looking for a gun to put a lot of ammo through, the 223 is a great option.

The blackout was really designed for heavy subsonic loads with a suppressor. I will try my blackout with subsonic/suppressed loads this next year in place of my shotgun on some stands. It won't be as effective as the shotgun, but the reduced noise will be nice.

300 Blk is a terrible option for a hunting cartridge, see the commonly listed reasons.

It's even lamer for a bolt action hunting cartridge, because a fair portion of the 300's appeal is availability in a semi auto like the common AR 15 plus hi cap mags. In addition to being semi auto, you don't need a whole new gun, all you do is slap a 300 upper on any standard AR 15 lower.

In a bolt action it makes even less sense. It's not semi auto, and you have to buy a whole rifle. And it's still a terrible option for hunting.

But it's super extra "tactical" and stuff like that.

223, but why not a real gun like a 243?
300 BO is an awesome round and GREAT hunting round WITHIN its limits. Mine is very accurate, and great for hogs and deer. I have killed plenty of both with mine. BUT for long range coyotes 223 all the way. Less power but but much better velocity for those long range shots on a small animal like a coyote.
I honestly don’t know why people hate 300 BO so much. It was designed for an AR platform and for an AR SBR subsonic with a Suppressor it is totally awesome!
It is a great deer round for less than 150 yard range - my grandkids and I love it!
300 whisper and 300 BO - google it. No difference that matters...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Bearwhat is the difference between the 300 Whisper and the 300 Blackout?
None...
300 Whisper is older with a shorter neck but not visibly noticeable with naked eye.

Last edited:

I like the 300 acc or Blackout. Under 100 yards subsonic is great around the farm. I use night vision scopes and nobody hears a thing with my Specwar. I also shoot the 115 gr Magtech ammo. It makes a little noise but it will knock a deer down at 200 yards. I shoot a CZ 527 bolt 16" threaded and a AR15 10.5" and 16" AR uppers. I have no problem with my rifles. The whole art is to call them in or bushwack them. If that does not work there is always my 220 swift.

I think the Blackout has it uses but also it limitations. Its great running suppressed, also a good deer round for youth or close range hunting. I don't run anything suppressed so I gain nothing from it. I had a Remington 700 in BO and it was fun to shoot but it ended there. This being said, for me , my vote goes to the 223.

Originally Posted By: Luna300blkout or 5.56/.223? Im sure this has probably been asked. Which would you go with for a coyote rifle and why? My shots are limited to 350 yards. And it will be suppressed. Thanks for info and insight
You already asked the same question HERE last year, and got similar responses.

300blk doesn't look better with time, it looks worse. It remains a very poor hunting cartridge, other than for VERY specific applications (close distances and subsonic/surpressed). Your stated purpose for predator hunting, and out to 300-350 yards in NM, leaves the 300blk a terrible choice. But it seems you really want one, so go for it.

Back