Kick's Howler 12 gauge choke tube question

Brian Shoop

Anyone using a Kick's Howler 12 gauge choke tube? What is an honest range for this and what ammo/size do you find works best? I just ordered one.

Originally Posted By: Brian ShoopAnyone using a Kick's Howler 12 gauge choke tube? What is an honest range for this and what ammo/size do you find works best? I just ordered one.

I beleive the honest range has more to do with the load you are shooting than the choke does. A real tight choke can't make clean kills if the shot doesn't penetrate deep enough to kill or breakdown what you are shooting at.

If you are talking about shooting coyotes, lead BB shot is the smallest shot size and type I would try using. Lead #4 buckshot is hard to beat on coyotes and it is much cheaper than the 12g/cc and denser Tungsten alloy shot types.

The only bad thing about #4 buckshot is there are not many pellets in each shell so the pattern has to be pretty tight at 40 to 50 yards to reliably kill or break down coyotes.

If your are hunting smaller coyotes or coyotes at 40 yards and less I would use the 3" 1-1/2 oz of lead BB shot over the 3" lead number 4 buckshot loads. These lead BB shot loads have right at 36 more pellets per shell than the #4 buckshot loads have.

You will need to pattern the Kick's howler choke with the loads you choose to see how it patterns. But a great pattern with steel shot or lead shot that is to small will not kill or brakdown coyotes very far away, when you don't have perfect shot angles.

Thank you both. I looked at the previous info from this forum and found it to be quite useful. Thanks GC. Thanks for the info you provided as well Derbyacresbob. As I was typing this, my son asked me when my next day off was so we could go try and shoot some coyotes. What a good son!

A Kick's Howler isn't constructed any differently than the Gobblin' Thunder. Essentially they are the same chokes but marketed to specific hunting uses with a cool name. It's all about the type of shot and constriction from your bore size. So if you want a different constriction than the Howler, buy a Gobblin' Thunder of whatever constriction you need.

Back