anyone jumping on the 6mm arc?

204 AR

Basically a slightly shorter 243 lbc, but with factory ammo and dies coming, and barrels already available at brownells.

Last edited:
Sounds interesting but wonder if it is all a bunch of hype. The Valkyrie was the last big thing and it was not all they made it out to be from my experience with it. Will need to wait until I see some real world experience. A new 25x47 or 25 Creedmore with the 131 gr Black Jack bullet has my attention.

I'd say it will be a huge hit with the internet keyboard snipers that have money left over after purchasing their ticket to board the 224 Valkyrie express. I will pass though.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Bob_AtlAnybody compare it to 6x6.8 yet ??

It will be slightly slower with most weights, as it loses a bit of capacity from the 243 lbc. The factory ammo is 103, 105, and 108 grain bullets, listed at 2750 fps from a 24" tube.

If you're invested in a 6x6.8, 243 lbc, 6 dti, etc, there won't be much reason to change. If you're just getting into the game, a factory round will be very appealing.

I know the round will be great because I had 2 different 243 lbc's and that's a great round. If I was getting back into one, I'd go with the factory round I think.

I don't see it as a varmint cartridge until a barrel is available in a slower twist like a 10. Seems all the new high bc cartridges are only compared at ranges beyond what most people shoot.The fact that it designed as a military long range cartridge will sell more than it's specs.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: varminter .223I'd say it will be a huge hit with the internet keyboard snipers that have money left over after purchasing their ticket to board the 224 Valkyrie express. I will pass though.

Hilarious

I expect my second 243 LBC barrel will be burnt out by spring, but I have a spare on hand to get me through next year. BUT - I’m ordering a 6 ARC barrel soon to have ready. It’ll be nice to have the ability to drop in factory ammo for a match if I get in a pinch.

Last edited:
I hate the notion that we keep shortening these cases. I always thought something on the PPC case made more sense than the 6.8 case. the problem some said was broken bolts. If we trust the PPC bolt face size. I think a BR case with rebated rim will blow them out of the water. you could could go full on dasher, I say dasher because it seems more popular lately.

I'd like to see how people get along with it with the lighter bullets, say 65 grain. Give me a year or three before I get too excited about it. IF I were to do something like that I would still probably go 6x6.8, but factory ammo would be a big bonus.

Based on my experience with the twist rates the big bullet barrels will handle the light ones pretty well but the deciding factor will be the leade dimensions. Thoathing for a 103-105 is going to screw the 55 grain guys into the ground on jump but shortened up like in the LBC you can give up a tiny bit of capacity and do well in both worlds with less freebore built in.

Greg

if you are going to reload for it and want to shoot light bullets. just get a 6mm hagar. it looks like the 6mm ARC is 1.490 and the grendel case is 1.52, so not much of a shortening if really at all.

the problem is your average guy wants to shoot a long ways, they don't get the fast and light principles. the answer to all this is a totally new case and stop trying to base it off something.

I was preparing to have woa chamber a short throated 6 Hagar until BCA came out with ambextrious 243s. For night hunting I'm not sure it will ever be topped. It's quite obvious the ARC is souly based around the long range shooting of high bc bullets in the AR 15 platform fighting bolt face diameter and case length. This round appears to be for two groups....those who actually shoot far enough bc matters or those who just want to tell people they have a rifle for that.

Last edited:
Hornady's 103/105/108gr ammo, from a 24" barrel, has a max range of roughly 500-550 yards (about 1800fps impact velocity).

Most barrels will be shorter than that, 16"-20", so reduce the max hunting yardage accordingly.

Pretty good still out of an AR 15 platform, but this is not a long range hunting rifle like some of the current reviews are insinuating.

Originally Posted By: steve garrettI hate the notion that we keep shortening these cases. I always thought something on the PPC case made more sense than the 6.8 case. the problem some said was broken bolts. If we trust the PPC bolt face size. I think a BR case with rebated rim will blow them out of the water. you could could go full on dasher, I say dasher because it seems more popular lately.

No way I'd trust a Grendel bolt with a BR rebated case. I've broken two cheap bolts with the 243 and 264 lbc rounds. Granted it was after 1500 rounds or so iirc, and they were cheap bolts, but even with a good bolt it would be nagging at me all the time.

However, I do want a 6 BR. I'm actually thinking about rebarreling one of my 30 RAR's. I know the bolt would hold up on that one. Yes, the RAR is a fatter case but I've been messing around with a standard .473 size case in that bolt and I think it would work fine. At worst I may have to swap out the special dogleg extractor for a straight Grendel one. I would love a 6mm wildcat based on the 30 RAR, that would be ideal but you can't find bushing dies in that caliber so a sizing die would have to be custom made, and I don't even know if a reamer exists.

I know, I have a sickness. I think I finally have a load in the 243 that's going to be unreal accurate, and now I'm looking at another build.

“Keyboard sniper” lol, that’s a good one.

I am with others, all these “new” cartridges are fast twist slightly modified cartridges of what we already had. There must be a lot more long distance ranges to use today than years past?
I can shoot 200 any time. 300 with a little more driving, 500 with more. Had a place set up for a mile and everything between, lost that a few years ago to new owners.

I have shot others fast twist designer cartridges i don’t see anything done @300 and under I want already doing with my “dated” cartridges. I know of several folks from 20’s through their 60’s that jumped on the Creedmoor wagon, they went back to the 308.

I may have made a mistake, won’t be the first time. Had a barrel made up in 22 Nosler just because I heard better results on it from local guys than the 224V. We will see how it does in a bolt gun. Looking more at it like a 222 mag+P than a 22-250 as some want to call it.
Will report on the “coolaide” as time allows.
Jeff

Last edited:
Put a stiff load of cfe223 under a 55 in that 22 Nosler and it will not disappoint as long as you don't have a real short barrel.

Last edited:
Back