BCG hold open doesn’t hold firmly enough

Hellgate

I prefer to have no round in the chamber while traveling in a vehicle (its the law actually) so I will have a full mag inserted and the BCG held back. Then i just have to hit the bolt release to chamber a round. All too often a light jar of the rifle will cause the hold open to let go and a round gets slammed home. I prefer my first round to be chambered by pressing the bolt release instead of the charging handle. My rifle is scoped.

Is there a simple way to increase the friction or adjust the hold open to make it more positive so a minor jar won’t chamber a round? This is obviously a safety issue. Some of my mags are difficult to seat when the BCG is in battery so I like to use the bolt hold open feature.

Maybe a slightly shorter spring with more pressure will help. I had one lower that needed that fix or try another bolt hold open part that might be a tad taller but in spec.

Greg

The bolt release lever is probably hitting on the upper not allowing it to fully engage in front of the lugs. Look at it and see where the contact is and with a small file like a chainsaw file you can file a little on the bolt catch to make a little more clearance will get you a lot more holding surface by allowing it to rotate farther into position. Those are hard so it will take some filing but you don't have to take much off or at least I haven't in the past.

Last edited:
I don't like the idea of how you want to do it. I find guns get josseled around in the back seat, driving over terrian and all sorts of crap. a round could get loaded without you knowing it. pull the gun out of the truck and the trigger has a draw string or something wrap around it, or anything else for that matter and you have an AD, recently I got some UTG chamber flags I am keeping those in my guns to show the gun is unloaded visually. I don't want my gun chambering a round unless I have complete control of the direction of the gun. Also what happens if you forget and leave the bolt catch like that and you put the gun in the safe. what if you go to pull the gun out and accidently muzzle yourself when that bolt catch is a bump away from slamming a round home best case its in a safe direction. worst case its point at you. bad idea

I have noticed the BCA side charging uppers will realize with just a empty mag in them. I have even taken the mag out and just by rapping the buttstock with the palm of my hand will be enough to get them to slam forward.

Back