What are we doing wrong?

Brian Shoop

My son (14) recently got re-interested in hunting in general and asked to go coyote hunting. We live in Arizona. We are having marginal success. for example, we went out today this morning near Wickenburg First stand we set up and were calling facing the west. Wind was blowing north to south. Picked up a coyote coming in from the west to the east toward us. He circled and got into the wind and I am assuming winded us. He took of without us getting a shot. Makes sense. 2nd stand....we went about 3 miles down the road. Called facing west sun is behind us. Coyote came in from the north to south. It came trotting in and out pretty quick not offering a shot. 3rd one that came in was the same. Wind seemed right on all three of our 6 stands. I guess getting a coyote to come in on 3 out of 6 stands isnt bad but they just are seeming to run to and through our stand and not presenting a shot opportunity.

We are using a Lucky Duck e-caller w/decoy, ground and pound hunting chair, predator deception camo. im using my 22 hornet and my son uses his 25-06 with some light bullets. we take shotguns on some stands. We usually sit on stands from 20-30 minutes depending on the terrain etc.

Anything we can do to get them to stop and hold up for a shot or have a little success actually connecting with one?

There seeing or hearing something they don't like.
You're probably moving your gun to shoot or turning to see it better, can't move be ready BEFORE it gets close.
When it gets in range and in the clear, let out a loud bark.
Like a dog, or even yell HA it will take a 3 step hop and stop and look right at you when it does you have to be ready and on target, pull the trigger...

yeah, I barked at one and he took off faster. I have my gun on my shoulder most of the time with my cheek on/near the stock. I am wondering if my son is moving around and I am not seeing him. hmmm. He was moving a lot when i first started taking him and that is the main reason I got the ground and pound seats which helped a TON. Thats probably it, them seeing movement. DO you all sit tight into bushes etc when you hunt?

Did they cross your trail where you walked out and placed your call? Also if they get to your call before you stop them, they will smell your scent.

I dont think so but its possible. the way they came in would have been downwind and I dont think any of them got close enough to the caller to get my scent that way. I used to supervise our K9 unit the police department I work for and kind of understand how dogs work odor. Didnt think about that while calling for yotes though.

basically the coyotes was following the down the same path of the wind and got to within about 15 yards of my caller but I dont think they would have crossed my scent path but as mentioned before it possible. All of the coyotes were further out from me than my caller.

With regard to moving to get a shot...I’m very new to predator hunting - but in reading the coyote 101 article the author mentions the importance of shooting sticks. I made a basic set and it made a huge difference in minimizing movement in my stand.

You are putting the ecaller up wind from where you are sitting correct?

And, R u watching the downwind area and have your rifle against your shoulder and pointed downwind towards the ecaller?

Originally Posted By: Mr. PoppadopalisYou are putting the ecaller up wind from where you are sitting correct?

And, R u watching the downwind area and have your rifle against your shoulder and pointed downwind towards the ecaller?

????

well sort of the in all of our stands today, we were facing west and the caller was placed 20-30 yards out in front of me and my son. the wind was blowing towards us on our right side. the way the coyotes came in, i dont believe they winded us with the exception of the first one that came in on the first stand. he circled us and right when he got straight downwind he took off like a bat out of [beeep]. I know that one winded us.

as far as the downwind side, the way we set up, either my son or I will be watching the downwind side. I try and put him in the better spot to get a shot as he hasnt shot one before and I have killed a few.

On my fox pro I use the fox bang feature preset to challenge barks. It generally stops hard chargers in their tracks. A quick pluck with my finger is enough to set it off.. not familiar with lucky duck but I'm guessing they have something Similar.. kill most this way..

Back