Old picture I came across

Yellowhammer

Staff member
From way back.

0e6a6d6c1779770bb3a28b8dc6454e0b.jpg

I ride and have roped some, Those boys were flat pretty good at what they did.

I just rode my mule pheasant hunting last fall, did get a rooster over my shorthair.

Its been some time since I rode a mule into the local bar, but one witness just won't shut up.

Sometimes having a camera close is a blessing; other times a curse. I'd say I'm about 50-50 on having one around. Sure wish somethings were on record, glad other things are not.... In regards to a similar instance I wish I woulda had one handy on a late September afternoon in 1998.

Craziest thing I ever saw roped was a 1600 lb WILD brama bull. The rancher lived alone and had been dead for a year, all his cattle was wild.

I read about "Buffalo" Jones roping some of the big African species; wish I could find that book again. Seems like he stuck a line on a rhino and used a big stump as a drag to wear it down.

Originally Posted By: YellowhammerHow about Stan roping a wild grizzly on Wild Kingdom? Skip to about minute 16 to watch the roping.

Amazing. Those guys were either brave, foolish or maybe a little of both.

Originally Posted By: YellowhammerHow about Stan roping a wild grizzly on Wild Kingdom? Skip to about minute 16 to watch the roping.

and I thought tv was bad today.

Thats some of the most staged tv Ive ever seen.

Good entertainment I guess.

There are a few paintings around of the California vaquero's roping grizzlies for the bear and bull fights of the era. That had to be something to see.

Last edited:
OkOriginally Posted By: emptymagOriginally Posted By: YellowhammerHow about Stan roping a wild grizzly on Wild Kingdom? Skip to about minute 16 to watch the roping.

and I thought tv was bad today.

Thats some of the most staged tv Ive ever seen.

Good entertainment I guess.

Ya, somebody roped a bear, but it wasn't Stan and Marlin. Marlin never even dallied up. He was probably stronger than that bear, though. Could have just roped it on foot.

Back