Baiting

Not to change the subject but my neighbor used to bait for us but not coyote but SKUNKS, bout 65 yrs ago.

Heraised rabbits and every couple weeks hed slaughter 3 or 4.
Shined the 5 cell on his pasture where he thru the guts and sure enough-one out there. I ran up on it and and after a ways friend flipped on the light.WOW there were two and one VERY close.

I had to shoot the close one from the hip (12 gauge) or get shot myself. When I got in for the eve my Mom asked where wed seen the skunks. I guess I stunk.

Be careful

Pretty cool 22 Chuck. I think anybody that hunts skunks has to be some of the bravest hunters out there
smile.gif

BIL and I were hunting last night. I packed it in at 12:45am. These guys came in at 1am.

[video:youtube][/video]

about 60-70 yards. 223 55grTAP gettin' it done.

Last edited:
Was out last night for a couple hours. This guy came in around 11pm. A buddy new to night hunting was to my left and was borrowing my BILs AR with an ATN 4K scope.

My buddy was up stretching his legs and the coyote came in from our left and spotted us and then shot over to our right into some thick woods/brushy area. He got back on his gun and it came back out in front of me. I was going to wait for him to take the shot but he couldnt see it due to some trees being in the way. When the yote put his head up and looked back at me I went ahead and took the shot. 50 yards 77gr Black Hills Mk262 Mod 1 ammo. Thought the shot looked pretty good but the fellow jumped up in the air and I think he did a back flip before running to our left. New to night hunting buddy fired 4 shots but didnt connect. His video came out pretty good though so I'm posting both below. The first one is from my gun. Second one is from my buddy's. Never found the yote last night and checked for a hour this morning and still havent located. He was running pretty hard and when he went into the woods there was about a 6 foot ditch/creek drop off and he apparently made it over that and into some Vietnam type jungle. Anyway, no pictures yet but here's the videos. Enjoy "The Hoppin' Yote"...

Burn, good job on that first one. Your buddy got the fever it looks like.

CT, tells us more about the set, such as the scope you used, distance, rifle etc.

I've been swapping stuff around a bit and trying different guns/scopes.

Both of these shots were at about 60 yds with my CZ 527 american .223 rem. Scope is Nikon Prostaff 3-9x40 BCD. I'm using a 5" LCD nightvision kit that was about $100 on ebay. Using dual IR illuminators (850nm and 940 nm). I spliced the video feed wire and connected it to a Eachines ProDVR (~$30) to record the shots.

First video was using 50 grain V-max with about 25 grains of H-335 going about 3100 fps. It worked well but was pretty loud. I did some research and experimenting with blue dot powder and .223 loads. The second video is my first kill with a blue dot load. Using 11 grains of blue dot to push a 50 grain v-max at about 2600 fps. With the suppressor it is about as loud as a 22lr.

My property is in the woods is in between a housing development and thousands of acres of woods. I get a lot o coyotes passing through. I have some driveways alarms posted that alert me when critters are coming through. I also throw bait out from time to time when I think there's something in the area and I want to increase my odds. I have a hard time maintaining bait piles all the time because my cats, dog, learn pretty quick where the "snack table" is at and will start cleaning out the bait daily. The coyotes in both of these videos were shot within 10 feet of some chicken scraps and cat food.

Good deal CT. Very informative. Those little CZ’s are nice rifles. Thank you for the info.

I have used home-made night vision quite a lot with good success. It’s actually a very good outfit for close range shooting, clear and good view with an 850nm illuminator.

CZ 527 .17 Remington and Hornady 25 gr. HP.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fjT1h3hbYB8

Nice video 06. Yes I really like the CZ rifles.

I got another coyote last night.

Video is a bit rough. I didn't get any advance warning on this one. The bait pile alarm started going off so I jumped out of bed and hurried to the window as fast as I could. When I clicked the IR lights on it started walking away. I flipped the safety off and fired a quick shot before it went behind a tree and out of sight. It dropped instantly. I thought i hit the back half of it, so i fired a second shot to make sure it stayed down and wasn't just stunned. After checking the carcase, i don't think the second shot was needed. First shot went right where it should. The second shot was in the rear end that was visible from behind the tree.

I need to get a mic connected to my DVR.

Any one ever set up a cast feeder with dog/cat food?...I have several deer hunting camps in heavy timber wanting me to thin out coons and yotes ...response to calls has slowed for me lately and i had this idea.... set it up with camera try to patttern them and take em out with my thermal...
Any thoughts or suggestions welcome...

I have fed them dog food in the past, but not from an automatic feeder. Seems to work well enough as a bait especially in the summer. I usually try to use something to mix with it initially like bacon grease. It won't hold up well when it gets wet though.

Moon was about 82% last night, so I didn't go calling, and was too tired anyway from pressure washing. I made a few howls last night and when I checked a coyote was out in the field. I had just picked up a fresh road kill in front of my house from the previous night, and the wind was just right for her to catch the scent. I killed her at 240 yds. It was a not bred female, probably last year's pup.

#82 by Double Up, on Flickr

Video:

You sure put that one down, DoubleUp. You keep dropping them at rather long ranges which continues to attest to the accuracy of rifle, load and scope.

Good one DU. Another one for the basket.

bdub24 - I dont use a spreader for dog food but have thought about it. Should work fine I would think. I spread out two fairly good sized scoops of dog/cat food every night. Its about a 200 yard walk from my home but I take the dog with me and he enjoys it so its worth it to me to do it as a daily effort. Plus gives me the opportunity to check trail cams to monitor all the activities at night, and my homebound elderly neighbor likes a daily visit with my dog so I stop by for that.

yeah... that makes perfect sense... I wish i lived out in the country like you guys... just not in the cards for me and my family yet!!!!.. so I have to set something up since I don't have that ability put out something everyday or even every so often!... I plan to set it up strategically, so i can drive up and make a short walk to a snipers hide and pick off some critters!!. I'll try to document the process on here!
if I can figure the picture posting thing out!

Back