Compact rifle options in 243

Burnsome...

I'm looking at the T/C Compass II Compact and the Ruger American in 243. Both have threaded 16" barrels which I want. Night hunting rig for coyotes primarily is the goal. Any user feedback on which one might be better than the other? TIA!

Jkdt7ah.jpg

KJs3WAt.jpg

I have friends with both (not in 243) but they are both very happy with them. Both moa or less. I'd say whichever felt better to you. Personally, I have owned 2 Ruger centerfires and they were the least accurate guns I've ever owned and not cheap so it'd be the TC for me! Good luck

Thanks P&Y. I'm leaning towards the TC. Most Rugers I've owned havent excelled in the accuracy department, but that's going back quite a few years. I've read they are improving in that category though.

That's what I hear as well.

After purchasing two late model M77 all weathers that shot horribly even after bedding ect I personally avoid Ruger like COVID!

Good luck

I am looking at the Tikka T 3X compact in 243,serious enough that I bought a barrel last week for when it will be needed in the future,I know how buying the barrel sounds silly but it was so cheap I had to buy it.It will fit my 22-250 anyway.

I believe Rem has a threaded 18 or 20" rifle as well as Weatherby in the Vanguard. Might be a couple other options to check out.

Friend got a 243 youth in the Marlin, believe it was a X7 model, and it was a nice gun. Helped him set it up for his grandson and it shot submoa right off the bat. His did NOT have a threaded barrel so might throw it out of contention for you.

I'm not a huge fan of either of the rifles mentioned,but I think I would go TC. Winchester made a run of 16" threaded XPRs this year, I think that would be a better option without too much additional cost.

Originally Posted By: FrankmI believe Rem has a threaded 18 or 20" rifle as well as Weatherby in the Vanguard. Might be a couple other options to check out.

Friend got a 243 youth in the Marlin, believe it was a X7 model, and it was a nice gun. Helped him set it up for his grandson and it shot submoa right off the bat. His did NOT have a threaded barrel so might throw it out of contention for you.

Originally Posted By: Terry LightleI am looking at the Tikka T 3X compact in 243,serious enough that I bought a barrel last week for when it will be needed in the future,I know how buying the barrel sounds silly but it was so cheap I had to buy it.It will fit my 22-250 anyway.

Its refreshing to see a couple of posters looking at quality over just getting something that goes bang every time that the operator pulls the trigger. There is a reason that both of the OP's suggestions are being sold cheaply. If you buy cheap you typically get cheap with almost zilch resale value if you decide to peddle it (read as poor sustainable quality - much like a BIC lighter).

I'll toss in a totally unreasonable option. Look for a used Kimber Montana in 243 or buy a current model one which, IIRC, is threaded. I know that some like to complain loudly on the internet about "literally spending a fortune" and its not accurate out of the box. After over a dozen purchases, that has not been my experience at all with rifles with the name "Kimber" on them. I have tweeked a couple of them to get them to shoot well (much better and to my satisfaction), but none have required any major surgery of any kind. A screw driver and a bit of judicious light sanding on a few high spots and 30-60 minutes of my time and all of them have become very accurate dependable rifles. And for the record, they too are factory rifles, but they are built with far better overall quality parts and hence they retain their value much better. Being a factory rifle does not guarantee instant success or miracles with any of them just because someone got out a credit card and then opened the box.

JMO............. And fire at will if you have to. I'll be Will.....
shocked.gif
laugh.gif

I just bought a browning micro midas in 22-250, they have 20 inch barrels and have a 1 in 8 twist so you can shoot heavier bullets.
This might be another option to consider, very accurate and has an adjustable butt stock spacers for lop.

I have 3 Ruger American centerfires. They are low dollar rifles but work well. One .243 for each of my daughters and my wife took my 308.
Brien

Pretty much most of the rifles I own that I use regularly would be considered youth/compact rifles. I just cut the stocks to length or replace them with youth length stocks. Whether the rifle is worth thousands or hundreds it isn't worth a thing if I can't shoot it.

I have never owned a compact rifle but I do have a pair of Ruger MKII's, one in 243 and the other in 6mm Rem. I can honestly say they both will shoot five shot groups of 1/2", the best I have done is 3/8" with a Sierra 75gr HP and 50.5gr RL19 in the 6mm Rem. I also have shot a five shot group of 7/16" with the 100gr Sierra Sptz. with 45.5gr of RL19 in the 6mm Rem. Day in day out both rifles will average about 3/4" groups for five shots. I have went as small as 1/8" three shot groups in both rifles.

Last edited:
Anyone that thinks they can pay under $400 out the door for a new centerfire rifle needs to back to a friend willing to kick them in the rear if they truly believe it should be the quality of an expensive rifle!

That said, I own a good number of “cheap” guns! I just have no allusions of grandeur about them!

I ranch so the idea of a compact inexpensive rifle with a detachable magazine is very very appealing to me. I found satisfaction to that interest in a Ruger American Compact in .223. Ruger does not catalog that chambering in the Compact now and that is too bad.

I finally did find a honey hole load for it but it was not easy. I think it was a combination of firing enough rounds and some cleaning. Read, I likely lapped the barrel myself!

We had a wicked late winter storm here a year and a half ago and we were already calving, the Compact racked up 8 coyotes in 7 consecutive days. One kill stands out in particular.

A coyote was walking away in a cow trail carved out in deep snow, I got it to pause, its back just visible above the snow. At the shot it folded but I took my attention of off it looking for any remaining coyotes and in that brief time it crawled on down the trail. We tracked via a huge blood trail for about 160 yds but we counted it finished.

Back home I used Google Earth and to my surprise I found that the coyote was standing at 305 yds at the shot. From my sight in, the distance and my hold I likely sent the bullet through some snow before it struck the predator!

As shooters many of us bemoan the passing of the Remington 788. I own a few of them myself. My 22-250 until the barrel gave out was a death ray to coyotes (it’s canjar single set trigger deserves honorable mention however) so I get the allure!

However, we may have “lost” the 788 but in its place are a whole plethora of inexpensive gun choices that have sprung up.

Three44s

A fella generally buys what he likes best.. IMO the Tikka is a very good suggestion and another often overlooked light & very accurate out of the box rifle is the Howa..

Back