Savage Long Range Hunter in 280AI

varmit_master

Hi is anyone shooting one. I was looking at getting a 280AI built on 700 adl action. But I came across the savage. It has everything I was going have done in the 700. Only thing savage has 1@9 twist. I was going to have a 1@8.5 on the rem. I am only going to deer hunt and maybe shoot a few coyotes to try it out. Maybe 120gr v max. On deer 140gr vld or more likely 168gr vld berger. Take the 700 to get built 4 + months. plus. I can have savage here Wednesday. If I get it I am going order a timney trigger to put in. Put a vortex or Burris on it. I like the looks of the savage.

I rebarreled a rem ADL 700 wood stock to 280AI. Kreiger barrel and piller bed job, trigger too. Its a one ragged hole group at 100 yds. I haven't bought a new factory rifle in 20 years. The 280 AI was my 5th kreiger. Well worth the extra money and the wait.

There isnt a svage rifle that I know of that doesnt shoot right from the factory. You do what you want, it's your money. But I have several savages from standard 110, 12 to heaven barreled target and LRPs. None of them shoot less than 3/4 inch and all have shot one hole groups with absolutely nothing done to them. The switch out barrel on a savage is amazing and so simple you'll save money on gunsmithing Bill's. Just my 2 cents.

Depending on how you hunt, I’d have issue with the 26” barrel & the 8.5+ bare weight. What’s the average shot distance in AR you expect?

If any extended carry is involved, I’d go shorter & lighter. Just a thought.

It depends where I hunt. Hay fields and bean fields or power line right away . A person could shoot a very long way. But not me. I hunt paper company lease land there u can shoot 300 or 400 yds in the woods. Pine has been cut or just planted. I haven't gotten to shoot my rifles much pass 400 yds. No rifle ranges to shoot that far. I have 2 boxes 100ct 280 cal 140gr and 168gr Berger vld bullets. Was plaining on using the 168.gr .
My buddy rebarrel a savage 110 to 26 inch 1@9 280AI. He shoots a 120gr hornady hp on deer. The deer here isnt that big. I had 2 savage rifles and they shot very good. I dont know of any savage rifles that wont shoot good. I would buy a timney trigger drop in. Not a fan of the new triggers. Maybe a new stock.

I have a Savage High Country. Doubt there is much difference in it and the Long Range. Mines a 6.5CM and it shoots little bitty groups. The trigger is adjustable so you may want to try it before spending money on an after market. The trigger in mine is nice. Savage has come a long way with their rifles. Most if not all shoot very good these days. Buy the Savage and go hunt!!

I owned savage in 22 250's very good shooting rifles. I am not a fan of the blade triggers. I been checking a out on prices. Does your's have the adjustable muzzle brake? How does that work. I have always had muzzle brakes to just screw on and off. That rifle has everything I wanted but a 1@8.5 . The savage has a 1@9 twist. I can live with it. I was plaining on shooting 168gr vld Berger.

Mines threaded but no break. The trigger blade doesn't really bother me but I don't really care for it. My smith can remove it when he does a trigger job. Might have him remove mine some time. He doesn't like them at all.

I looked up a timney trigger not too bad of price for one. I was looking on Berger's site. They make a 180 gr vld that will shoot in a 1@9. One day mite get drawn for elk permit in Arkansas.

Originally Posted By: varmit_masterI looked up a timney trigger not too bad of price for one. I was looking on Berger's site. They make a 180 gr vld that will shoot in a 1@9. One day mite get drawn for elk permit in Arkansas.

That 1-9 will do everything you need it to do with the Berger 180-184's...Provided you have enough freebore.

Back