Bore Sighter recommendations

I personally don’t use them. I look down the barrel and through the scope. I cans use happy get within a couple Inches of the bull doing it. The range I work at will not even allow the ones that go in the end of the barrel. First they don’t work well and second, had a couple customers forget they put it in and fired their gun with it still in.

Originally Posted By: Gity2Would like to hear what your
Recommendations are as far
As buying A bore sighter
Thanks Gity2

Unless you have trouble using the barrel in a rest and looking through it and your scope reb8600 is right you don't need one.

If you really need one,
1) the laser types work when you can see the beam. Mine doesn't work too well at 50 yards. Indoors you can see the beam, just need to know your bullet's trajectory and ballistics so you are able to get on paper at some point.

2) If your rings are short to medium say 1.5 in or lower, the optical grid type of bore sighter could work as well but neither type is better than checking down the bore.

3) Another option that is likely safe at reb8600's range is the laser that is in a chamber shape for popular calibers...provided your rifle is a popular caliber.

Last edited:
Looking through the bore is the best way. Even with a sighter when I get to the range I pull the bolt and look down the barrel. Seems most of the time I have to adjust. Leupold makes one that's magnetic and seems to work pretty good. I have one that has the barrel stems and a grid. Its a POS in my opinion but just a tad bit better than nothing at all. Not much better though.

Someone seems to always leave those big black stick on targets on the back boards at the club. They work great for looking down the bore and lining up your scope. They center in your bore and are easy to see. I can usually get pretty close to zeroed in two-three shots. I've watch people shoot a full box of ammo trying to get sighted in. What a waste of good ammo.

Just try it by looking down the bore. It is a lot easier than you think it will be. If you do go with the laser route.....don't forget about it!

35599934762_3996509dbf_b.jpg

Have used the Leupold for a long time, quick and easy.
Also use it to reference setting before removing scopes or swapping scopes.

Grid boresighters (like Bushnells magnetic type) are one of the most useful tools I have for shooting. I can rough zero with them at home (to be sure the mounting system is correct). I sometimes calculate reticle subtension with them, turret click limits and return to zero, and especially crosshair axis movement with power and parallax change.

Back