Spring dogging?

Jim Byers

If you saw my Covid thread then you know I'm currently working away from home in some decent coyote country. Typically I lay off the coyotes this time of year but I'm hound hunting lions December thru April now and am in need of some coyote action..

My question is.. my stands have resulted in only singles thus far. 2 males and 1 female. Is this cause one stays back to look after the pups or merely a coincidence considering my small sample?

What do you guys who hunt year around think?

I typically see singles unless getting close to den.
Attempting to get pics it varies, some guard the den or duck in, some haul out and a few try to lead me away.

Coincidence, I think. My experience this time of year is fairly limited. But what I've seen, is both coyotes may be near the den, or not, at any particular time. If both are there and you set up on the, both may come, or not.

This is a pair I located and moved in close to the den on.

20150807_Coyotes-10W.jpg

They both came in.

20150807_Coyotes-24-EditW.jpg

20150807_Coyotes-36W.jpg

20150731_Coyotes-4-W.jpg

This one, a male, we located the pair and moved in on, but only the male cam in.

20150610_Gillette_Coyotes-23W.jpg

Worked him with my friend Cal's dogs for awhile, but the female never showed.

20150610_Gillette_Coyotes-27W.jpg

20150610_Gillette_Coyotes-45W.jpg

And this one, only the female was there. She came in.

20150610_Gillette_Coyotes-88W.jpg

20150610_Gillette_Coyotes-105W.jpg

Worked her with the dogs for quite awhile hoping to draw in the male, but he never showed.

20150610_Gillette_Coyotes-132W.jpg

And so on. They are where they are and they do what they do.

- DAA

I would love to work them with dogs, that would be a blast. Great photos..
They sure have been responding well. 85% of my stands in the last 2 weeks have produced... Granted I only have time after work for 1 or 2 and I make sure there good ones, but they've all came hard to the call.

Ate a big piece of humble pie the other evening.. 2 stands, 2 dogs, 2 misses... No excuses other than my head wasn't quite in the game I guess. I don't like missing.. period... Lol

Snakes... Yes...

20130525_Indian%20Canyon_Rattlesnake-3W.jpg

Saw one while hiking just the other day, too. And just so happens my daughter ran one over last night while riding the four wheeler (on accident). There be snakes, lol!

Marcus, she sure does!

20150610_Gillette_Coyotes-130W.jpg

- DAA

Dave here is that one I trapped with the bad eye. Very similar look to those eyes. Wonder what happened to them to cause it?

AIh7kSq.jpg

Last edited:
My guess is it looks like traumatic glaucoma. It is possible the eye got injured/smacked (fighting or deer kick?) and bled inside which could cause glaucoma that would swell the eye. Also a penetrating eye injury (thorn/cactus poke) can cause bleeding or inflammation that can cause glaucoma.

I've had limited success lately and I hunt only at night. I've called in one pair that came in from a stand of trees 200 yards away and came in on a string to baby rabbit. Got one. I've heard them at times in the not to far distance but no takers to lone female howls or coyote puppies. Ambushed a couple walking in to stands but it's been real quite when I figure they would be real territorial. I've just started to assume they are staying very close to the dens except for the loner or one out hunting. I've driven around extensively and not even seen one. Any more experienced input would be great.

Back