Savage 110 Tactical 6.5 Creedmore

Flesher

I just bought a Savage 110 Tactical 6.5 CM. I topped it with a Leopold VX i3 4-14 scope. I'm thinking it may be my long range rifle. A bit too much for coyotes, but maybe better for deer size game. I want to come up with a load that I can settle on, and then order the custom turret. I'm seasoning the barrel with some cheap 140 grain off brand ammo. After I ran some rounds through it and got the scope sighted in, I shot some 129 gr. Hornady Whitetails through it. (Much better grouping)
So I'm looking for some recommendations on a recipe that will be accurate, and have plenty of wallup, for say 300 to 500 yrds.
Fire away:)
Thanks

I should mention, I may take this to Northern California this year for a bear hunt. Is it enough gun for black bear?

I shoot a 130 grain Game Changer, 42 grains of H4350 and a CCI primer. Shoot little groups in my Savage. My smith runs his a little hotter in a Browning. He shot a WT deer with his this year and was pretty much DRT. I haven"t hunted with mine yet. As for Black bear, I don't know but I would think it would work.

I have the same gun and am shooting the Sierra 142 gr with H4350. I don't have my data in front of me so am not sure of how much powder. My brother killed an elk at 475 yards with one shot to the neck. The load in mine shoots less the 1/2" consistently.

I will look into the 142 gr sierra. Most of our shot opportunity's in Cali for bear, are usually 270 to 400 yards. I thought this rifle would be a good choice for the longer range. I've used a 300 win mag before. But had to use hold over for elevation. It would be nice to use the turret style scope.

Back