Savage axis issues!!!

Jason50cal

I have an Axis on 308 that doesn’t fire handload reliably. Factory stuff fires just like it’s supposed to. The reloads seem to get a light primer strike on about 50% of them. Even trying to fire them again doesn’t work. I’m using Winchester brand primers and 4064. Wondering if possibly my dies are sizing the brass too much and allowing the case to move forward when the firing pin hits it. Anyone else had this issue with there rifle and if so what was the issue?

I set it up for just a lil cam over like I do most of my hunting rifles. Gonna try just bumping the shoulder back like I do on my BR rifles

Originally Posted By: DennyrMore than likely sizing die set up problems.
Originally Posted By: Jason50calI set it up for just a lil cam over like I do most of my hunting rifles. Gonna try just bumping the shoulder back like I do on my BR rifles

Do you have a way of measuring how much you are setting the shoulders back? That maybe should be step one. Measure a few pcs of fired brass to get an idea what the chamber headspace measures (brass expands to conform to the chamber when fired, but then contracts a little when the pressure subsides). Does fired brass chamber ok unsized? If so, maybe just try neck sizing some by backing the die out so it just sizes the neck partially to hold the bullet. That should eliminate any headspace issues from oversizing. Also, ck to see if the primers are being seated too deep - could be that the primer pockets are deep from new? Maybe try other higher primers as a test if the headspace attempts dont help?

Id guess you are oversizing them. Took me a while to get away from the "screw it down till it cams over" way of setting the sizing die up. 2 different rifles in the same caliber ended that - chambers were quite different in headspace. Had to set the die diff for each. Being able to measure that diff, and not sizing the brass at all when not needed saves wear and tear on you and the brass too.

Yes, sounds like more a reloads problem over a gun issue.

Yes, try a few things, mix it up. A lighter sizing, then make sure the primers are fully seated.

If the fired brass chambers(before sizing) with no extra bolt effort don't move the shoulders back at all. Your brass is not fully formed.

Yes I can measure how much I set the shoulder back. I’ve just always set my first for a lil cam over for hunting rifles. This weekend I’m going to do some measuring and see if that’s the problem. I’ll try just bumping it back .002 and see if that fixes it

Just throwing it out there...have you tried different primers? My T/C Venture won't bust a CCI 450 but I have no issues with anything else. Just a thought.

I haven’t yet. I usually use CCI or S&B but I had these Winchester primers that I’ve had for a while and figured I’d use them in this instead of using my primers I use in my BR rifles. It’s the first box out of this brick so it’s possible it could be the primers. If adjusting my seating die doesn’t work I’ll switch primers

Back