Remington Express Ammo 12 Ga 3 #4 Buckshot 41 Pellets

I haven’t used rem #4’s in a long time because I bought a case of the old federal one and seven eights ounce lead BBs from a member here a few years back. Those Remington‘s #4 buck Loads will put 6 pellets inside a 5 inch circle at 60 yards pretty consistently with a .680 goblin thunder choke tube out of my silver mallard a390. With the kicks 670 gobblin thunder tube it does about the same with the lead BB.

I was looking on Remington‘s website the other day and I see they made some lead number two loaded ammo. I’d be trying some of that out if I didn’t have almost A case of the classic lead BBs left. I bought a couple of boxes of the Hornaday copper plated lead bb a few years back and never Tried them yet. I have a few loads and tea and triple be in the Remington have a shot as well.I have a few loads of T and triple-B in the Remington heavy shot as well. Thor’s hammer! I took a coyote at 109 yards a few years back with the BB Remington heavy shot. Didn’t kill it but broke two legs and paralyzed It’s rear legs.. My buddy finished it off with his AR. Wicked stuff.

Last edited:
Every coyote I’ve pulled the trigger on has folded rite there and didn’t move . Can’t say that with the hornady heavy mag coyote I was shooting before . But don’t get me wrong the hornady killed them in there tracks out to 35-40 yards . I wouldn’t shot further though. Atleast not with the pattern I was getting

Originally Posted By: DultimatpredatorI haven’t used rem #4’s in a long time because I bought a case of the old federal one and seven eights ounce lead BBs from a member here a few years back. Those Remington‘s #4 buck Loads will put 6 pellets inside a 5 inch circle at 60 yards pretty consistently with a .680 goblin thunder choke tube out of my silver mallard a390. With the kicks 670 gobblin thunder tube it does about the same with the lead BB.

I was looking on Remington‘s website the other day and I see they made some lead number two loaded ammo. I’d be trying some of that out if I didn’t have almost A case of the classic lead BBs left. I bought a couple of boxes of the Hornaday copper plated lead bb a few years back and never Tried them yet. I have a few loads and tea and triple be in the Remington have a shot as well.I have a few loads of T and triple-B in the Remington heavy shot as well. Thor’s hammer! I took a coyote at 109 yards a few years back with the BB Remington heavy shot. Didn’t kill it but broke two legs and paralyzed It’s rear legs.. My buddy finished it off with his AR. Wicked stuff.

When I first started calling coyotes with a shotgun I had the Federal Premium 12 ga 3" 1-7/8 oz loads of #2 shot and BB shot that I used for hunting geese.

The copper coated lead #2 shot did not penetrate and break bones nearly as good as the copper coated lead BB shot did. The lead #2 shot did not break down the coyotes that were shot between 25 and 40 yards.

From KPY Shotshell Ballistics.
1250 fps lead #2 shot gets 3.70" of gel penetration at 17.4 yards.
1250 fps lead BB shot gets 3.70" of gel penetration at 43.3 yards.

A lead #2 pellet weighs about 4.93 gr for each pellet.
A lead BB pellet weighs about 8.52 gr for each pellet.

There is a huge difference in the weight of the pellets between lead #2 shot and BB shot.

Originally Posted By: WilgabeastEvery coyote I’ve pulled the trigger on has folded rite there and didn’t move . Can’t say that with the hornady heavy mag coyote I was shooting before . But don’t get me wrong the hornady killed them in there tracks out to 35-40 yards . I wouldn’t shot further though. Atleast not with the pattern I was getting

How many coyote did you kill with the Hornady BB load?

Originally Posted By: WilgabeastWell I believe I killed 5 but I only recovered 4

Originally Posted By: WilgabeastSo far 4 . Just started shooting it this spring

Interesting... 5 coyote shot with BB's and 4 with TSS. You've had tremendous success in a tough area of the country for a new predator hunter since you made your first post here at the end of January of this year. You ask all the newbie questions, but you haven't shared any hunt stories or pictures of these successful hunts. I'm surprised, most new predator callers can't wait to share their first successful hunt stories and pictures. Don't hold back on us, post a picture and tell us a hunt tale!

Originally Posted By: WilgabeastHey guys , new predator hunter this year I started really getting into it .i am from central mass and do a lot of hunting in oxford area. I got my first dog a few weeks ago and have been grinding ever since . Any advice ? I have 3 private spots and the rest are public land . The coyote came from a private spot where I’ve gotten 5 different dogs on camera since the day I shot that one . Im giving it 3 weeks before I call there again. I plan to call at night with the full moon coming if there is snow . Any advice or tips would be appreciated

I ask all these questions because I like to try and go get it done by myself . But all my kills except one have been when I was hunting with a buddy from work who’s been predator hunting for 20+ years . I can’t take credit for any of it . Love the enthusiasm to try and put a fellow hunter down though . Well done guys very hospitable

There isn’t anything I need to kill so bad to spend almost $10 a pull on TSS shotgun ammo. Too bad federal discontinued their classic lead one and seven eights ounce BB, 3 inch 12 gauge loads. Box of 25 for 29.99. I killed so many coyotes with them to even remember and never had one walk away. Longest shot was about 65 yards. The old Remington HD BB was way better. It was as expensive or more expensive than the TSS ammo. I bought several boxes on clearance when they discontinued it 20 years ago for pennies on the dollar or I would’ve never experimented with them to find out. It’s the same way with turkey ammo. In my opinion it’s just marketing hype to get you to buy expensive ammo. Hunters have been killing them with boxes of federal heavy game loads for years with a lot less shot per shell. I bought a box of 25, 1 1/4 oz, 2 3/4” number fours from Wally World last week for $8.44. I also bought two boxes of #5 2/3/4oz turkey loads one clearance for $3 a box. I’m sure all will flatten a turkey as well as the $40 per 5 box off TSS. I shot three turkeys the fall before last out 45 yards with cheap 7 1/2 Winchester bull trap loads . The cheap stuff...100 for $22. All DRT. I was small game hunting and just happened to come across turkeys twice in a week. I did have my kicks gobblin thunder .670” tube installed in the gun at the time. I still would like to try the Remington Express lead #2’s on coyotes. I bet it would hammer them. I’ve killed a handful of coyotes that have came into my call while turkey hunting using federal grand slam #5’s out of my browning gold 10 gauge. I always make sure to put my bead on there head and they always go down and never move. I gave only one coyote a second shot with turkey loads while it was flipping around. It was a good 45 yards out when I dropped it. My decoy took a pellet or two as well. It literally had its mouth open and almost the tail of my decoy in it when I pulled the trigger.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: DultimatpredatorIn my opinion it’s just marketing hype to get you to buy expensive ammo.

The cost of TSS aside - it IS too expensive now. But the physical attributes that make it far superior to lead aren't hype. The density, hardness, uniformity, pellet count, pattern density and significantly better penetration are fact.

Originally Posted By: DultimatpredatorI still would like to try the Remington Express lead #2’s on coyotes. I bet it would hammer them.

lol.gif

I bet not
lol.gif

Try and break down a coyote going straight away through the sage brush at 45 yards with lead #2.

- DAA

Hey what ever you kill em with a dead coyote is a dead coyote and one less fawn calf or turkey killer. Get after them boys summer times a great time to take out some dogs for local farms and ranches

if you have ever seriously killed coyotes with a shotgun for any amount of time, you can only shake your head at some of this stuff being written.

i will leave it at that.

Originally Posted By: SlickerThanSnotif you have ever seriously killed coyotes with a shotgun for any amount of time, you can only shake your head at some of this stuff being written.

i will leave it at that.

You're a meanie!

I'm still loading some of that Rem. HD BB, at $13.60 per ten rounds (including new primed hulls). I bought a lot of that shot, but I wish I'd have bought a lot more, when Natchez was closing it out at $10 a pound a few years ago.

That has been my main squeeze, since feeling too poor for TSS. Along with nickel plated F.

- DAA

Back