If you could have only one.....

Got quite a few different brands and like them all. I only like knives I like the looks of. I think some are head and shoulder's above the rest. Case, Boker and Schrade. Love my Schrade knife's, have a couple very old ones. All folder's. Don't have an Old Timer around any more but couple Schrade's and couple Uncle Henry's. wait a min. Just nticed. My pocket knife here on the table is an Old Timer!

Min e would be/is an Old Timer made in USA. They are getting hard to find these days.

I have that beautiful LARGE lock back, leather sheath, bone handle still in the box. I wonder what my grandkids will do w/ it?? I got it at a close out for about 28 bucks. I should get the number and see what someone would offer. We saw one in the early 90's at the big mall in Toronto for $100, canadian of course. My 14 yo at the time even commented about the deal Id got.

Last edited:
I also have a soft spot for victorinox. A small swiss army was my first knife from my uncle when i was 8 years old. I also carried a leatherman super tool 200 (actually had 2 of them) while i was active duty...because no soldier should be without a good lifer tool! In iraq i kept a small fixed blade kabar easily accessible on my kit and used it regularly for many things. The knife im eager to use now is my new outdoor edge razor pro/saw combo. I saw that they are also making filet blades for their knives now, but obviously it wont fold with the 6” blade installed. They do sell a fixed spine (for lack of better description i guess) filet knife with sheath also. Cant wait for those cold mornings and evenings to come around!

Ed: so to actually answer the OP question, i would have to keep the super tool 200 for versatility's sake. Like said before though, thankfully we dont have to choose just one!

Last edited:
CRKT "cross bones"....I can't remember the designer? It's a slick knife that has really cool green scales.....

However if just one, a Havalon folder w a 60 pack scalpel. Use it for everything! I'm a taxidermist and I use it for a 100 things in the shop. Gutting and skinning is great having a scalpel...... gets dull, toss it and pop a new one on

My Gerber LMF2 Infantry Knife goes with me whenever I go on a road trip, camping or hunting. Its not an every day carry but it's my go to all around outdoor knife. My Case Peanut is in my pocket every day.

I have a crap load of knives. Mosty Gerber, a few Schrades, a few Bucks. I keep a Leatherman in the truck and carry a Kissing Crane in my pocket all the time. I also have a few Kershaw.I picked up an Avalon with replaceable blades today. None of mine cost more than $70+/-. I don't really feel the need for a knife that cost as much as a rifle. Not saying there is anything wrong with someone spending their money on one, I just don't. If I can gut a deer with it, it served its purpose.

Originally Posted By: LazerusWhat would it be?

For a general purpose "working" knife.

For me, it would be my Deer Creek Forge Kephart. It just trips my sear.

i-t62Xxk5-X2.jpg

I have several EDC knifes, they are all of the high end steels.
I probably like my ZT knife the best, it's a flipper and works smooth as glass! CPM20CV steel

Also a couple of the Benchmade Bugout knifes I use a lot also.

Here is one more that I use a lot also - Made in Italy with M-390 steel

This knife I have used for 2 1/2 mo's now and have not sharpened it. Just a couple swipes now and then on a strop and it's good to go again.

Last edited:
I have had a Craftsman (Schrade) LB7 since I was 14...got it for my birthday...that was 43 years ago.
I have it in a box now as it would break my heart if it was lost or damaged...but for a lot of years it was a "go to".

I have a USA Buck 110 that is in the truck and ready for any and all jobs that I used to grab the LB7 to do...don't want to loose it either, but it wouldn't kill me like the loss of the LB7 would.

Either knife is big enough without being too big.

Cool you still have your old LB7! I have a Buck 112 Ranger that I bought 38 years ago. Still a good knife!

Back