What to scan with ?

R. Toker

I’m an occasional coyote hunter. In the past I’ve used a night eyes scan light and gun mounted light at night with limited success. The Sportsman’s Guide sent me an email advertising the ATN 4K Pro day / night scopes on sale. They also include an IR850 Illuminator for free so I ordered the 3-14x. My question is this. While calling at night should I still use the scan red light or use the gun with scope and Illuminator on a tripod to scan? I have no interest in a thermal or night vision scanner. So leave that out of the equation. With the two options I’ve listed what would be best?

Don’t hunt at night . Scanner is the most effective way to hunt at night hands down. And if you shoot one at night it’s about the only way to find them.

My state, Ohio, has no such nonsensical laws when it comes to coyote hunting. I honestly can’t comprehend what you are trying to tell me,

Last edited:
If you had "limited success" with the red light scanning, then you can expect to do at least as well continuing to use it. Only you can decide how much investment you are willing to make as a predator hunter, or not. Being a successful predator hunter doesn't seem to be really high on your list, so no reason to make more than a modest investment.

Originally Posted By: R. TokerI’m an occasional coyote hunter.........My question is this. While calling at night should I still use the scan red light or use the gun with scope and Illuminator on a tripod to scan? I have no interest in a thermal or night vision scanner. So leave that out of the equation. With the two options I’ve listed what would be best?
Given your requirements of using one or the other, I would say using a dim red light to pick up eyes and then deploying the 4k to ID and shoot will be your best option. The field of view of the 4k doesn’t give you much latitude with regards to scanning, plus the fact that you would be moving excessively can possibly cause you to get busted, not to mention fatigued. The only senerio I can see for scanning with the 4k is if you expect coyotes to approach a good distance from your stand, and in a rather narrow area where they would most likely appear. In that case, the 4k might work for scanning. I have a 3-14x 4k, so I understand its limitations as a scanner.

I can turn my scanning headlamp down fairly low to detect eyes. The main problem I've had in the past wasn't with the scan light it was with the gun mounted red light. With the 4k I hope to eliminate that transition. Thanks for your help folks!

After much debate I ended up buying a Pulsar CORE 1.6-6.4x thermal sight. Haven't had it out hunting yet but I have mounted it to a 5.56mm 16" AR and I have taken it to the range and have it zeroed. Seems like a fine optic for the $.

I also just broke down this past weekend and ordered a Pulsar Axion XM30 thermal scanner. After doing a lot of reading and searching on this forum I realized that the best platform is a thermal scanner and thermal sight. But once cry once I guess. Thanks for all the good info. stay safe.

Back