Rabbit fever

GLA.OR

I was wondering what folks in AZ were seeing as far as the rabbit hemorrhagic fever was concerned. I was wondering how this was affecting rabbit populations. The last time I was down there the drought had taken a toll on the rabbit numbers and the coyote numbers were down from what they were ten years earlier. I just wonder if this is going to have an impact on coyote numbers.

The fever is reportedly hitting the south east of the state. I haven’t been down that way in quite some time since the State banned contests. I’m about 50 miles north of Tucson and so far no sign of the disease. In fact, with all the winter rain we had the jack and cottontail numbers are really good. I’m keeping my fingers crossed the fever stays isolated and doesn’t spread to much.

Kevin

thanks for the reply, I haven't been down that way for a couple of winters but the last time I was there the rabbit population was down. I was hoping all the rain would help build the population up. I have a brother in Picture Rocks that I stay with and generally hunt the Tucson area. I'm hoping this covid 19 stuff is done by next winter I really miss coming down for the sunshine and coyotes.

Back