Mounting My Own Scope

RugerHawg

I have always had a gunsmith mount my scopes, but my gunsmith passed away. So, I decided to do it on my own. I did my research and bought good scope mounts, rings, and scopes. I degreased (using 91% rubbing alcohol) the scope mount, scope rings, and all of the screws. I torqued all the screws (using a torque wrench) to the in/lbs that the manufactuer said to. I put blue loctite on the scope base screws only. I put nothing in between the scope base and the rifle. I also leveled the scope with the rifle. I just wanted to know if I did a good job or not.? Thanks!

Last edited:
Sounds like you did a good job - I've twisted off a screw or two using blue loctite on scope bases. Sometimes that will happen regardless of using heat.

I only use purple loctite, 222MS on both scope bases and rings - stays put and screws come out very easy.

purple is what comes with the wheeler scope mounting kit, if that helps your query at all.

blue should still be ok - just make sure if your mounting screws are slotted and not caphead (allen or star) that you use a properly sized screwdriver for the removal for a good tight fit so you dont accidently strip the slot out.

The only time I remember having a problem is when I had a scope mounted at a gun shop. I bought everything there so I thought I’d let them set it up, Leupold scope & all.

I go to the range & the gun wouldn’t stay predictable. I checked it out & saw the scope was loose in the rings, no tool with to tighten. I abandoned ship, went home, redid everything myself. I think I was talking to him to much while he worked.

Before & after I’ve always just done it myself, nothing difficult. At times I’ll include a ballpark ‘boresight’ by aligning the crosshairs & bore on a clear targeting point. The real key is to get on paper at 25 yards, adjust on single shots until close. After that, extend the range & fine tune.

I like to take a little time to get the bases & rings I want, not what the shop has on the shelf. My last rifle has a Warne base, then Tally Rings. I often start out by checking what’s on sale at Midway.

I've mounted all my own scopes for the last 30 years. Someone else will never mount the scope correctly for "you" due to your eye relief needs and physique compared to someone else.

It sounds like the mounting you performed was correct. However, did you check for proper eye relief?

Here's how to check:
1) Put your scope on maximum magnification with scope all the way forward in loose rings.
2) Put the rifle to your shoulder with your eyes closed.
3) Open your eyes and look through scope. If you can't see through the entire scope (i.e. no black around edge of optics), slowly move the scope rearward until you can see fully through the scope and try the closed/open eye sequence again.
4) Tighten rings after levelling scope/rifle.

This procedure will give you the most eye relief for your scope and a guarantee that you will have proper eye relief on any magnification setting. Eye relief is most critical (shortest) at maximum magnification. Most hunters don't do this and this is why the scope hits them in the face with higher recoiling rifles. Good luck...

Friend was having trouble getting scope on paper. Just wouldnt seem to adj properly.
He was shooting and I noticed the scope was 90 deg off.. Windage was on TOP. I said "CEASE FIRE."

We fixed it and completed the sight in. He said a gunshop mounted it for him. I suggested he go get his money back. He said "they are out of business" and I said GOOD, maybe we know why.

Good Job! Feels great doesn't it? FYI Burris who makes scopes, rings, and bases; recommends not using locktite and instead a drop of oil on the screws for the bases. Sounds counter-intuitive I know but it actually works. That said, enough people use locktite successfully so no worries with either. There is a new type of locktite, penetrating, which is potentially lighter than Purple.

Depending on your torque wrench, in/pounds can be tricky with large plus/minus range. Sometimes you need to factor in the error so you avoid overtorqueing things allergic to excessive compression.

Expensive Scopes for example.

Congrats!

Back