Cmmg 22 lr conversion

varminter .223

I'm considering an ar style platform for coon erradication. I'm curious if anyone has any input on the accuracy and reliability of the cmmg conversion. Would an m&p 15 22 make more sense?

After a bit more research I see cmmg has bcg and barrel kits but that puts me at same price as the m&p complete rifle.
I have plenty of lowers with quality triggers and extra parts to assemble a dedicated 22 ar. That seems like the better way to go at this point.

Last edited:
I have one built with a Ceiner conversion which is the same thing. I built it with a 1-16 barrel from a cz 22 hornet, and it's super accurate. When i tested it in other barrels accuracy varied, it seemed like the slower the twist the better it shot.

I've not played with the CMMG set up. I've heard nothing but good about them. I got a Ceiner unit back in the mid 80's and build an upper using a rechambered Ruger 10-22 barrel for mine. Accuracy is muy bueno and I love dropping it on my M16 lower.

Greg

I have a CNNG Banshee 5.7x28 AR style pistol. I had an extra Timmney 3# drop in trigger a Leupold scope and my Suppressor and it should be a great close range machine.

I’m an AR-15 addict and I prefer the dedicated 22 LR for accuracy but I also have two 22 conversion kits (Colt & Ciener). I don’t care for the light polymer construction of the M&P 15-22. Right to Bear has very good prices on CMMG pattern conversion bolts, barrels and accessories.

Beyer barrels produce some very accurate AR-15 22 LR barrels which are compatible with CMMG pattern dedicated bolt.

Some 1:9 twist AR-15 5.56/223 produce decent accuracy depending on ammo but good groups tend to be ruined by fliers. Old M-16 A-1 1:12 twist barrels are ok but still suffer from fliers.

https://www.righttobear.com/22LR-parts-upgrades-accessories-s/1873.htm

http://beyerbarrels.com/barrels/ar15_barrels

Last edited:
I have a CMMG stainless kit in a 12.5" pistol upper. I can sight in my Eotech for 5.56 and the 22lr is dead on for the 5.56 zero and 25 yards on my steel plates.

Got the cmmg bcg and mags in last week. Accuracy was pretty poor out of one of my stoner 8 twist m4 contour uppers. I ordered a right to bear 16-inch 16 twist pencil barrel and collar along with an Anderson slick side upper so I can put together a dedicated 22LR upper. Hopefully I'll have it up and running midweek and I will give a report.

Last edited:
Mine is pretty ammo picky for some reason. Maybe it is the barrel length? My CMMG kit seems to work really well in anybody's 16" upper I let use it.

Finally got my right to bear barrel in and got it put together on a dedicated Anderson slick side upper. I don't have a lot of experience with a lot of different 22s so I'm not sure how good a 22 should really shoot at 50 yards but it will put 10 shots at little under 2 inches with the blue box 40 grain Federal lead solid nose ammo. The copper-plated federal hollow points are just a slightly bigger group. The 35 grain Remington yellow jackets are horrible and I wasn't overly impressed with Wolf match. I've got a bunch of that Federal blue box which is probably a good thing since it shoots the best but since 22 ammo is so hard to find right now it's probably what I'll have to stick with. I need to get my Remington 541t out and see how good it shoots at 50 yards with the wolf but I know it's a lot better than that. I really like the rifle but I would like a little more accuracy. This is the pencil barrel but I can't imagine in a 16 inch barrel that a 22 needs something heavier than that to be stable and accurate. I read online where the cmmg barrels were hit-and-miss as far as accuracy. I cleaned the barrel before I shot it and man did it have a lot of gunk in it which I guess is a rust preventative. I ran a few hundred rounds through it and have it cleaned it so I probably need to do that and start over and retest. It seems that the first shot after it sat for a day is not too good and then it settles in again and it's several inches off after the first shot when switching to a different ammo. I also noticed weird group poi shifts of maybe an inch or so. I've got a used vx iii leupold on it so I kind of doubt it's the scope but who knows. Considering putting my XP 50 trail on it and testing poi shift to keep track of it but first I need to baseline what the rifle does with a regular scope. I had two misfires but other than that everything ran and cycled find. I think it's really a great kit if I could just get it to be a little more accurate.

Last edited:
My accuracy testing was done with a 3.5 lb velocity trigger. I wonder if that led to the two misfires I'm going to try the heavier two stage out of my stag model 6 to see if it changes accuracy.

Trigger didn't seem to make much difference with accuracy but I didn't have any more misfires. I also cleaned the gun with wipe out and it really wasn't that dirty but it seems to be grouping a little bit better now.

Back