A Little Controlled Chaos

SnowmanMo

Administrator
Staff member
I hope everyone is staying healthy. In this time of chaos, I thought that it would be a good time to try some new things out.

Desert Dave has come out several times to hunt with us, and my poor friend is a prisoner in Commiefornia. No, I don't blame all the problems of Commiefornia on all the good folks that I know live there, but Commiefornia is still the butt of a lot of jokes. One of their laws is the ban on lead ammunition for hunting. The last time that Dave and I went out he mentioned not having compliant ammunition for his 6.5 Grendel. So, I decided to use the lockdown as an excuse to tinker at the loading bench.

I have been experimenting with a variety of leadless bullets loaded for the 6.5 Grendel. I have tried Barnes, Hornady and in this video, the Lehigh Controlled Chaos, 110 grain hollowpoint. We put it on paper and I was very impressed with the accuracy. So it was time to try and put it on some fur.

We went into an area that has produced in the past. There is a lot more human activity in the area now, so we moved into an area between two roads that had a nice big, U shaped canyon in the bottom of it.

Started with an invitation howl. Let that sit. Then rolled some crows with my Casey Carver handcall, a combination that has been VERY productive. When I got a big group of coyotes to start howling, I switched into a very nonthreatening rodent call, and boom, I see the first coyote drop into the canyon. So I keep the call rolling and I see two more HARD charging coyotes. Sure enough, they are trying to come into the sides of the call, like they typically do. That's why I had Ray to my right, Bob to my left, so that they would have to run right in front of my shooters. But the terrain was really rolling, and Bob just got a glance at them as they came in. I saw them the entire way and waited for Bob's shot. Once the coyotes got close enough, it was time to see what the Controlled Chaos could do.

It did not disappoint.

If any of you would like to see the exit pics, pm me.

Enjoy the video...

Yep, great video and good explanation of the setup. Glad to hear the new bullet performed well. I have a new and unused Grendel upper just waiting for my recovery. Is the bullet considered a varmint type, or one that could be also used for deer, hogs etc?

Always love your setup diagrams and talking us through the stand. Much appreciated, Mo!Good looking area you hunted, too. I LOVE AZ. I wouldn't want to live/hunt anywhere else.

Originally Posted By: 6mm06
Yep, great video and good explanation of the setup. Glad to hear the new bullet performed well. I have a new and unused Grendel upper just waiting for my recovery. Is the bullet considered a varmint type, or one that could be also used for deer, hogs etc?

Thanks for the feedback. I would consider it more of a varmint bullet. I have seen videos posted that show hogs going down but I’ve also seen videos posted where they just didn’t quite get the job done. Might be ok for deer.

Back