Thinking of a smoking varmint rifle

Rex Nutria

I live in East Coast suburbia, so not much chance for any 'yote hunting. But I want to find out about fast shooting, accurate, small caliber rifles. I like to shoot my CZ 527 in 7.62 x 39. Also like a lot of handgun shooting and I got an AR recently. But I was thinking of getting a Win Model 70 in 22-250, until I found info on the .204 Ruger. It's a smaller case and is available in a CZ 527 and maybe a little more efficient in terms of powder, since I like to reload. And the CZ is maybe $400+ less expensive than the Winchester. Some questions are: Is this a good round to reload? Do you need a 12X+ scope or stick with something like a 3-9x?

Like to hear if some .204 shooters can advise. Thanks.

Mines not a 204 but a bolt action 20 Practical(20-223). The 204 is a great round to reload, great shooters, the only downside is it is a little more difficult to find cleaning rods. There is lots of reloading data available and a pretty good selection of bullets.

As for scopes, it really depends on what your going to do with it, Prairie Dogs, Ground Squirels, Rock/wood chucks are smaller stationary varmints, and a higher power scope can be useful 4-16 or even a 6-24 wouldn't be out of place on the rifle. A CZ-527 Varmint in 204 with a 4-16 would make a dandy varmint rifle.

Now if your talking called coyotes, fox or cats the 204 would be a great choice also especially if your hoping to save some pelts. My 20P is for called coyotes out here in the west and wears a Meopta 1.5-6x40mm scope with a German #1 reticle and it will kill coyotes as far as I'd ever want to shoot one. For called predators/varmints/walking varminter a CZ 527 American in 204 with a lower power variable would give you a larger field of view for faster target acquisition on moving targets. I'd recommend something like a 1.5-6, 2-7, 2.5-7/10. At 1.5x most scopes will have nearly twice the FOV as one with 3x on the bottom.

Scope power selection while there are some practical attributes personal preference goes a long way. For me a 3-9 would make me feel very claustrophobic while not long ago a fellow posted that his goto coyote rifle wears a straight 12x. But then I shoot low power variables a lot and feel very comfortable and have not trouble shooting sub MOA groups out to 300 yards with them.

Last edited:
204 is a great little round IMO. Mine wears a 6x24x50 but its not for coyotes. My 223 is a T/C Venture and sports a 1x8 that I like for coyote hunting. Scopes are kinda do'ers choice. Everyone has different needs and choices. That's why they make all sizes.

A 204 is basically the same ballistic as a 22/250 up to about 45 gr, that's about as big as you can get in 204. A 22'250 you can get much larger bullets, for Longer range and more wind.
204 is outstanding. OR go to a 6mm rem mag if you reload go AI.
I'm getting 4200 fps with a 55 gr Nosler in my 6mm rem AI 26" barrel.

The 204R has achieved notoriety because of accuracy and "flat shooting". To take maximum advantage of that past 200 yards I would have at least 14x on the top end. 20 would be better for paper or small live targets past 300 yards. Fine crosshair or small dot(.25 moa and smaller) reticles also help on targets.

Rex, do you plan to groundhog hunt? Back in the day when we had a good population of groundhogs, varmint rifles was a passion of mine. You won’t go wrong with an accurate 22-250. I used 52 to 55 gr. bullets. If shooting distances a 12x would be minimum in my opinion. I used a 10x initially and quickly realized it was lacking. A 16x served me well on the 250. The 3-9 is not really much of a varmint scope if shooting over groundhog fields. I don’t have any real world experience with the 204 other than shooting a friend’s a couple of times.

Originally Posted By: 6mm06
Rex, do you plan to groundhog hunt? Back in the day when we had a good population of groundhogs, varmint rifles was a passion of mine. You won’t go wrong with an accurate 22-250. I used 52 to 55 gr. bullets. If shooting distances a 12x would be minimum in my opinion. I used a 10x initially and quickly realized it was lacking. A 16x served me well on the 250. The 3-9 is not really much of a varmint scope if shooting over groundhog fields. I don’t have any real world experience with the 204 other than shooting a friend’s a couple of times.

I am on the east coast, so I don't think much over 200 yards would be very likely. From a reloading perspective, the .204 doesn't use up much powder.

Originally Posted By: 6mm06

X2

I'm partial to the 220 swift but flip a coin between it and the 22-250.

I "think" the Winchester has a 14 twist. Depending on what bullet weight you want to use that may be perfect or you might want a faster twist.

I actually looked at it differently and 3-9s w a 50mm bell are great in both of my 204s as I knew I rarely shoot past 200 and 300s probably max.... now my 243 and 240 wthby I have a 14-40 and a 6-24 but i get way out there w those fellas. Not saying a 204 wont do it. Imo a nice leupold 3-9x50 is a perfect scope on a 204 calling rig? S%$t that's a lie I have a 4.5-14x50mm vx3i on one, I forgot I did some horse trading.... well there you have it! Lol....
Cheers

The .204R is a great round it became my favorite yote rifle. I'm shooting hornady 40gr vmax loaded with 25gr of benchmark powder. The rifle is a Howa 1500 topped off with a Vortex Razor HD LH scope. Ive taken 2 coyotes with since i bought it a few weeks ago.

Luna -- Did you get a pass thru on the coyotes with the 40 gr. vmax? How far were the shots etc. I've never tried them on coyotes yet. Rudy

The CZ527 and the .204 cartridge are like peaches and cream!

The effectiveness of a .22-250 for varmint hunting under 300 yds with 1/3 less powder. It is surprising how much cooler they run.

My CZ American in .204 is a sub .300” rifle at 100 yds with factory Hornady ammo (32 gr V Max) or the same handloaded with a full case of Rl 15 and the CCI 450 primer.

Three44s

I shot them both at 75 yards, one was a pass through but no real pelt damage and the other was a frontal shot and absolutely no pelt damage either. Both were DRT

204 is a good one. If you want a little more foot pounds of energy consider a 22 Creedmoor. Brass is available and with a fast twist it s right with a 243 but flatter shooting. Ballistic twin to 22-250 AI WITHOUT having to FF!

600-800 yd shots with 75 & 80 grain bullets at 3400 fps on Varmit s ( Rockchucks) very doable with a range finder in your arsenal.

Originally Posted By: Frankm204 is a good one. If you want a little more foot pounds of energy consider a 22 Creedmoor. Brass is available and with a fast twist it s right with a 243 but flatter shooting. Ballistic twin to 22-250 AI WITHOUT having to FF!

600-800 yd shots with 75 & 80 grain bullets at 3400 fps on Varmit s ( Rockchucks) very doable with a range finder in your arsenal.

Where do you get your information from?

I hunt groundhogs in Penna. I have used everything from a 17 rem. to a 7x300 wby mag. but the one I like best is a Tikka t3x in .223 rem. with a 8" twist varmint barrel.I shoot the 69 gr. TMK and have kills out to 345 yards. I had a cooper 204 ruger and I liked it but it didn't compare to the Tikka .223 for the hunting that I do. The 204 was not as good in the wind as the .223 with the 69 gr. TMK. I use a range finder and range all my shots so my distances are not estimated. If I hunt a farm where longer shots are avaiable I use the 22x47 Lapua with 80 gr. hornady bullets longest kill with that outfit is 568 yards, my longest kill to date is 605 yards with 6.5x06.
JND

Willy1947, just seen your post of a few days back. Not quite sure of what you mean by asking where I get my information from but the answer is we go do it. (LR shooting; frequently) Here in Idaho there's good places with rock outcroppings surrounding alfalfa fields and the chucks love that. Food and shelter all in a very near area.

We use 22 Creedmoors and 22-250 AI s often ( and other larger calibers like 6mm Rem AIs, 25-05 AI s, etc) with high BC bullets and fast twist barrels ( typically 1-8") along with range finders, StrelokPro Pro for calculations, portable shooting benches and quality scopes with turrets.

Since I m not having any luck posting a picture of my rifle, shells, etc I ll send you a PMwith that attached; I think I can figure that out.

Frank,

Where are you located in Idaho? We have been shooting a .22 Creedmoor over in the Twin areas at rockchucks. Devastating results!

Eric

Originally Posted By: FrankmWilly1947, just seen your post of a few days back. Not quite sure of what you mean by asking where I get my information from but the answer is we go do it. (LR shooting; frequently) Here in Idaho there's good places with rock outcroppings surrounding alfalfa fields and the chucks love that. Food and shelter all in a very near area.

We use 22 Creedmoors and 22-250 AI s often ( and other larger calibers like 6mm Rem AIs, 25-05 AI s, etc) with high BC bullets and fast twist barrels ( typically 1-8") along with range finders, StrelokPro Pro for calculations, portable shooting benches and quality scopes with turrets.

Since I m not having any luck posting a picture of my rifle, shells, etc I ll send you a PMwith that attached; I think I can figure that out.

Back