** FAVORITE FINISH **

badtothebone

During this slow time, I'd like to get some opinions from our forum brothers and sisters about finishes. I would appreciate your input for when I get things cranked back up again.

Which type of finish (high gloss or a mellow oil & wax) do you prefer for your 'go to, working class, field' calls?

For me, both types of finish take the same time and effort, so I can go in either direction.

Eye Candy:

49717802792_e3ba20b067_b.jpg

Oil & Wax:

49717489651_090f6d4a9a_b.jpg

Take a peek, and let me know if I should stick with oil & wax for field calls, eye candy for showing off calls, or it makes no difference.

Regards!!!

Rudy

I like CA as long as it's not applied to thick. In my experience, if it's applied to thick it seems like if takes a real long time to fully cure hard. Bob over at Rare Earth gets the CA finish right.

Do I like eye candy or working grade???? ........ Easy answer, yes!! All of the above. Wood is sweet either way to me.

The only time I prefer less of the sealed gloss finish is on antler.

Also, buffalo horn is pretty cool when the outside is kinda raw.

As a collector, I like calls. Shiny or a nice oil finish just depends on materials and call style. As a hunter, I want a nice oil finish. I rarely make any calls with a gloss finish anymore. I just like the look and feel of oil finish on my calls and my style.
On a side note to Grizz, CA finish done correctly is fully cured almost instantly before coats. Thickness will just build depth. But it is hard as rocks. But shouldn’t be used on certain woods.

I would prefer the mellow oil & wax finish. Let me know if you decide to sell the one in the first picture.

I prefer the oil and wax type of finishes. Sun treated flax oil then mixed with beeswax, lets you feel the wood, none of the plastic feel or plastic look.

Back